F Vail

My best idea or advice is to pre-game hard before your trip. Start hydrating 5 or more days in advance with at least a gallon a day. More is probably better. Make sure your iron is clear in color and keep it that way.

I’ve had tourists pass out on me and afterwards tell me that they’ve been drinking water as they hold up a half drunk 12 oz plastic bottle and that was probably all that they had in 24 hours. You guys have humidity out there, it’s dry out here and that dryness is constantly pulling the water out of your body. It’s literally a battle to stay on top of it. I hear ya Benny, I’m used to it and I think it’s a pia.
First lesson I had in western dry conditions was driving from Flagstaff to Monument Valley, hike a little, both ways with the windows closed, air blasting, and no water. Man, did I feel weird, and it took me a while to figure that out as an Eastern jong.

What’s a lot of water for you guys?

I ask because over the years I’ve really noticed that people from the east generally don’t understand the amount you need to drink at elevation in these dry climates out here. I’ve had quite a few incidents with tourists fainting and falling and it’s often a combination of altitude, dehydration, not enough good food and or medication use or lack of. Throw in the stresses of traveling and you have quite the recipe for a situation.

Alcohol obviously intensifies that.

for a reference, I can easily clear a gallon a day without exercising
Learned this lesson on a business trip to Scottsdale years ago. Climbed Camelback mountain during an afternoon off. After fishing on the Frying Pan river in CO a few years before I knew about the intense dryness of western desert areas. So I brought a pack and put 4 bottles of water in it. 3 were gone before I hit the summit and I had to ration the last bottle on the way down. Man was I thirsty at the bottom. Crazy dry out there.

When I did hut-to-hut I pounded the water (at least a gallon) for a week before and had no drinks for the same time period.

The last night of our trip three (guide and two sports) split one of those big Fosters. We were kind of shitfaced, but felt fine the next day.
Bud light is 96% H2O, just sayin.
Went to another meeting at Copper Mountain and stayed at a condo on their golf course at the end of July. Highest tee box in North America, allegedly. Ball goes farther too as less air to slow it down. It took a couple daze to get acclimated. Sleeping at altitude took a bit gettin used to.

Its not just water ..its the electrolytes you need. I mix up Himalayan sea salt and sodium chloride and put about 1/2 tsp in a litre of water. I drink this stuff every day. My trainer turned me on to it. I didn't believe him until one day I was totally shot when I got there..he gave me a glass of it and it worked. High altitude..don't pound coffee in the morning...and booze at night...

One time I flew to a destination that had high altitude skiing with the NY zoo crew. When we were unpacking we started laughing because one of the guys pulled out his personal case of pedialyte. He assured us it would help with dehydration and hangovers. We were calling him a big baby among other things. It was late at night and the bars were closed. Someone pulled out a bottle of duty free vodka to celebrate or arrival and with no other mixers... it was vodka pedialytes for everyone! In case anyone wonders, that combo isn’t a secret cure all. The next day was the usual sufferfest.

Maybe that’s one reason why these plates are going for big bucks in Colorado now. Proceeds of auction go to disabled kids, allegedly.
Can NY be far behind?

Try skiing in South America..and drinking..2 drinks and your toast. Walk around with a headache all day..your staying at 10k feet..and the wine is really good. And theres not much to do besides eat drink and ski as you can't go into town..from up there.

I looked around for a place to put this but instead of starting a new one I decided to pile on Vail as they represent the whole mega pass thing well and they suck too. I wish all ski areas to stay in business but this is what happens when you over sell and are “successful”. Years ago when I lived in Big Sky, I took a trip down to Teton Pass with some friends to run some road laps. I met a guy on the bootpack who was a Jackson Hole passholder. He told me about the horrific tram lines that morning, how you had to get there wicked early, had to wait, only got one ride and couldn’t return to base. They usually skied to the Hobacks for one and got out of there to go hike the pass, which is where I met him at 10am. Sucks, I said confusingly. At that time I was skiing walk on trams in Big Sky and lapping the front, all 4 Gullies, Duckshot, Dobie’s, and Big Couloir in a day and then some. I was even lucky enough to ride the tram by myself a few times. Those days are over. Building a bigger tram is a big mistake IMO. I’d rather see them tear it down and let people hike it. I’ve done that too. Those runs were the most memorable. Rant over... for now.

Back