F Vail

My buddy just went to Silverton and his ticket was $135 with a heli-drop

Ever been? It’s unlike anything in the country. It’s awesome.
Once. We got snowbound after 5 feet fell. I couldn’t believe they opened. They shot it up and said it was good to go. No heli but we didn’t have to hike much. With both passes closed, hardly anyone was there. Definitely one of a kind. Epic in a real sense, not “epic” like the pass.

Last edited:
Once. We got snowbound after 5 feet fell. I couldn’t believe they opened. They shot it up and said it was good to go. No heli but we didn’t have to hike much. With both passes closed, hardly anyone was there. Definitely one of a kind. Epic in a real sense, not “epic” like the pass.
Oh hells yeah Ripitz, you hit it right.

There snow safety program is so impressive. Their operation is kind of hard to believe. Just about every skiable acre is serious avalanche terrain and with the San Juan snowpack. Whoever makes the calls on terrain openings after a big storm has got to feel a bit stressed from time to time.

And now some areas are closed for good after a bad call. The Comma chute is one of them. I think I skied it the last year it was open.

Oh hells yeah Ripitz, you hit it right.

There snow safety program is so impressive. Their operation is kind of hard to believe. Just about every skiable acre is serious avalanche terrain and with the San Juan snowpack. Whoever makes the calls on terrain openings after a big storm has got to feel a bit stressed from time to time.
I met Jen Brill in Big Sky right as she was moving to Silverton to start things up with Aaron. She told us about their new plans of adventure and offered invitations. I should have paid closer attention because the stories of the early years are legendary. When I did finally ski there, it was years later with my home crew from NY. I had been in Breckenridge for a month so I was already acclimatized and ready to rip. The zoo crew on the other hand were flopping around like fish out of water. One guy made it down one run but it was survival skiing for him. Another guy happily dropped on the second. It was just four of us and the guide for three more. Only five runs total but it was bluebird on a deep day with no one around. I was just so psyched to be there. The place is nuts. I still can’t believe they pulled it off. Oh yeah, and F Vail they pretty much suck.

Last edited:
Back