F Vail

The whole point of having a season pass is to reduce your per-visit cost as much as possible. Paid parking adds a significant additional expense every time you go that you can't avoid. It's really a way to stick it to passholders who visit a lot on day trips. If you only visit Stowe once or twice a year, then maybe paying 30 dollars parking isn't a big deal for that one trip, or you're more likely staying in lodging that has a shuttle. However, if you're skiing on the weekends and going 30-40 times a year, then you're going to pay more for parking than you did for your pass.

As for the guy in the earlier post, it sounds like he was there on that horrible day when the Fourrunner Quad went down. That happened at literally the worst possible time because they didn't have terrain open off the gondola or either of the high speed quads at Spruce. Their shiny new 6 pack also wasn't ready yet. This left them with just a double as the only lift serving non-beginner terrain. This obviously resulted in massive lift lines that only got shorter when people got frustrated and left. While they did refund tickets for anyone who took just one run and gave up, they did not refund anyone's parking fees. This was in my opinion inexcusable. The lift failure was a worst-case scenario where they didn't have any other decent lifts available. It would've been easy to just take a mulligan and refund everyone's parking, but they chose not to. They also could've been less restrictive on refunding tickets.

I remember years ago when Mountain Creek had a disaster of a weekend, marred by frozen pipes in the lodge and multiple lift failures. They refunded everyone's tickets, even those who skied all day. Yes, it cost them more money then sticking it to those who skied the whole day, but it was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Vail and more specifically Epic Pass broke Stowe Resort plain and simple. A luxury experience is incompatible with something as non exclusive as Epic Pass, it's akin to flying first class at this point. Parking fee's weren't going to fix it and better public transit would likely have little impact, the place was near its capacity before the Vail purchase and Vermont law will prevent any development that would be capable of improving the situation from ever happening.

Good analysis @snoloco.

The whole point of having a season pass is to reduce your per-visit cost as much as possible.

You could also say...

The whole point of having a season pass is to reduce the operator's weather risk as much as possible.

A luxury experience is incompatible with something as non exclusive as Epic Pass

Fact.

For me it's not having to wait in line to get my pass. Heading directly to the lift is well worth it, imo.
I like the option to go bust out some guilt free hot laps for an afternoon or just a couple of hours. I’d feel committed to a full day if I bought a day pass.

When Snowbowl goes to paid parking I’ll be done going there.

Deer Valley is not on Epic.

DV is not unlimited for Ikon holders. Has been limited to 5/7 days from the start.
Sure but their Ikon status has still changed their experience from what I hear.

DV’s choice to become part of ikon still leaves me scratching my head. It cheapens (not in a good way) their product I’d imagine.

Sure but their Ikon status has still changed their experience from what I hear.

DV’s choice to become part of ikon still leaves me scratching my head. It cheapens (not in a good way) their product I’d imagine.
DV was bought be Alterra in 2017. Alterra was able to buy Solitude a bit later. Not really a choice to keep an Alterra resort off Ikon. At the same time, DV still has it's own 1-location season pass for a premium price. Solitude also has 1-location passes for locals.

The former DV owners had bought Solitude in 2014. Back then Boyne Resorts wanted to buy Solitude but couldn't come up with the financing required. I gather Boyne Resorts had eyes on Solitude long before that when they were considering where to expand in the west. DV was a family-owned resort that didn't have younger generations interested in staying in the ski business.

Things were changing in the SLC area before MCP and Ikon. Just as changes in the Front Range in Colorado aren't all due to Epic/Ikon. Consider if the population of SLC/Ogden and Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs were the same as in 2010,

Back