F Vail

You can read a decent amount of this without a subscription.

Katz is a smart man, and he is conflating some things on purpose. Cheaper passes don't mean that skiing is cheaper, or more accessible or bringing in new skiers.

You're a capitalist dude, it's no crime, fucking own it.

To his credit he does take responsibility for the degraded experience this year.

It's been a year or more since he installed that woman as CEO, and he's still acting as public spokesman for the company. All I hear from her is flowery marketing gibberish.

It's been a year or more since he installed that woman as CEO, and he's still acting as public spokesman for the company. All I hear from her is flowery marketing gibberish.
She gonna have to do some good gibberishin after markets close on the 9th this week as MTN's quarterly earnings report comes out.
Should be an interesting shitshow.

Vail came out with 1/4-ly earnings and, “Obviously, last year was a big year for us, and it exceeded our expectations,” Lynch said.

"Additionally, from the beginning of the company's third quarter of fiscal 2022 through June 8, 2022, the company repurchased 303,143 shares at an average price of $246.33 for a total of approximately $74.7 million."

Vail Resorts Inc. disclosed they’ve been buying back their stock ... and it still goes down.

imagine if they put the 74 mil back into their properties...keep buying that epic pass...

What caught my eye:

" . . .
. . . This past season, approximately 72% of all Vail Resorts 2021/2022 North American skier visitation was on a pass product, excluding employee and complimentary visitation, which compares to approximately 60% and approximately 51% for the 2018/2019 and 2014/2015 North American ski seasons, respectively. . . .
. . ."

Were 2018-19 and 2014-15 good snow years in the Rockies? The Peak acquisition was completed in July 2019. The first three midwest areas/resorts (Detroit, Chicago, Minn/St. Paul markets) were bought in 2012.

72% of all Vail Resorts 2021/2022 North American skier visitation was on a pass product,

It's a new day. Industrywide what was this number in 2015? 2019? I don't know, but it was a hell of a lot lower.

Back