EVolve NY: EV Charging Stations

Let’s not forget how much fun Tesla’s are to drive
Yep! I am getting the Rivian after spending the weekend 1.5 years ago with a friend with the 240 mi X (now minimum range on X is like 341!). I loved it, but falcon doors and lack of offroad weren't great for me, as well as price. Rivian checks all the boxes, and by the time my order is ready, they should have the 400 mi version, which I would switch too.

To Jason and Camp's point: while sticker is still higher for EV, it looks like there is already historical facts that EV is all-in cheaper than ICE. Note this is from the UK, which has been pushing conversion to EVs:

To Jason and Camp's point: while sticker is still higher for EV, it looks like there is already historical facts that EV is all-in cheaper than ICE. Note this is from the UK, which has been pushing conversion to EVs:

I call foul!!

You show me a car that will hold up for 14 yrs. Never happen with the weather we have here in the NE. In FL, sure, ok. But who the hell wants to keep the same car for that long? I see 10 yo cars all the time you can throw a cat thru the quarter panel. Again, not me.

Last edited:
You show me a car that will hold up for 14 yrs. Never happen with the weather we have here in the NE. In FL, sure, ok. But who the hell wants to keep the same car for that long? Again, not me.
Agree that it helps to live south of the snowline that goes somewhere thru PA and the Catskills when it comes to keeping a car more than 10 years. My husband keeps cars forever. He moved to NC in 1987. The 2007 minivan has 350,000 miles. I drove it around New England during the winter for six years. I know we'll have the RAV4 Prime for a LONG time.

Very cool
I would love to get a model y
One really cool thing about Tesla - they often upgrade the cars through software and then push it out
I call foul!!

You show me a car that will hold up for 14 yrs. Never happen with the weather we have here in the NE. In FL, sure, ok. But who the hell wants to keep the same car for that long? I see 10 yo cars all the time you can throw a cat thru the quarter panel. Again, not me.
Ha! I have been known to foul. I am one of those people who will own a car for many years - My CRV was my first new car, and is now almost 10. Before that I had a car for close to 10. We will probably keep my CRV and get rid of the 5 year old Impreza, as I love the CRV. I plan to own my Rivian for at least the next ten years. And camp, the truck (which I am not getting) is available with 400 mi range already announced.

If it is worth your time, Camp (and maybe it is not), take a look at the research - tesla is proving out the reliability (admittedly it has been bumpy).

Even on a flat economic point of view, I believe these will be no brainers in 5 years. And Camp, they will perform much better offroad - full torque at 0 RPMs.

Admittedly, part of this is wanting not to have anything come out of tailpipes for me. I am 40 and other than 3 years of college, have lived in the same 40 mile range my whole life. The climate where I live feels much different. My experience is not science or data that supports inferences, but there is plenty of said data out there on climate. I have a 6 and 9 year old. If it is not too much skin off my nose, I want to reduce my carbon footprint (and even if it is I do).

I do believe we are at the point of long term reliability. Yes, there will be kinks in the next 3 years. Also, the batteries, the most polluting part, are being engineered with their next life in mind - partnerships to use degraded auto batteries for solar storage, which could be done for a long time after auto obselescence.

Harv, coming from Jersey,

The plan I described is for after we move. There will be no coming from NJ. Longest trips that happen semi-regularly will be to NoVT.

Back