EVolve NY: EV Charging Stations

Are electric cars really expensive? I googled it and the price did surprise me. I'd think you could make them cheap, and they should be cheaper to maintain? Will the price come down?

Are electric cars really expensive? I googled it and the price did surprise me. I'd think you could make them cheap, and they should be cheaper to maintain? Will the price come down?

Wait until you research how much the are to fix

New batteries and install, 5 to 6K

Not for this cowboy

The price of EVs will come down as they become more common. The Tesla marketing plan was clearly to start with the high end market. I think the Model S was a message that they were aiming at the Mercedes S class. They were tryig to make EVs something people aspired to own, not something you accepted because it was cheaper. I think they largely succeeded.

mm

Not for this cowboy
Hmm
How much does it cost to rebuild or replace that JATCO transmission ?
Just saying

Not for this cowboy
When I was a kid my grandfather told me that Model Ts would never replace horses because of all the naptha they would need, and all the fueling stations that would have to be built. Batterie will get better. It's always a mistake to bet against technology.

mm

Prius (2012) still has it's original battery, but it's a hybrid. I'd guess the full EVs have bigger batteries. They told us 2200 to replace it, but also said that price fluctuates wildly bases on the cost of raw materials. Our mechanic said that you also can pick out the words sections of the battery and replace those. If we get 3 more years out of it, we won't replace it.

I will say that little shitbox has been insanely reliable. Only ever changed the oil.

Great questions Harv!
1- Price and Maintenance
I think the consensus is that in 5-10 years, EVs will be cheaper on sticker price than ICE (internal combustion engine). I just put an order in on a Rivian R1s SUV with 300 mi range, and it was cheaper than a Land Rover Defender. But beside Tesla, these are largely luxury cars/truck/SUV. That is the business plan. Tesla's first vehicle was above 100k I think, but now model 3s are 37,990 plus tax and delivery fee at the lowest point (and better performance than most ICEs).

If you look at Tesla, which will drive down prices the soonest, there is a model 3 with a sticker price of 38,000 that has better performance than a BMW M3, but only 240 mi of range. 47,000 gets you over 300 mi.

Also, over time, the maintenance is cheaper. An EV has something like 12 moving parts, versus thousands for an ICE (think transmission). It is true over time the battery will degrade, but we are at the point where that degrade will occur past the life of ICE (150-200,000 miles). In 3 years of owning a Tesla, you would change your wipers, and wheels and that is it.

Environmentally, unless you live in West Virginia, which has dirty electric, charging an EV is much cleaner than ICE. EVs have higher CO2 in sourcing that is made up in about 18 mos in driving. After that, using an EV every year gets a surplus of less CO2.

2- Range
The EV system allows you, Harv, coming from Jersey, to not worry about getting to Lake Placid or North River. While it seems you have the ability to drive 5 hours without stopping, these stations will allow you to do this. You could get to Whiteface (if the car had 400 mi, which some will within the next year or so), charge in Lake Placid for return, and potentially get home. From Gore, you should be able to just charge once based on your stated travel time.

Harv, for example for you, of the only two chargers in NY now built, one is mid hudson off the taconic - one of your routes, about halfway to Gore.

For me, going to the Cats, even if I would have gotten there with 40 percent battery, I would be nervous, but, for example, EVolve is putting a station in Kingston, about 2 mi off 87. The 350 kw chargers are a game changer- you are talking 200 miles for a large battery in 20 minutes.

Here is the link the vehicle I ordered: https://rivian.com/r1s Going from 2011 Honda CRV and 2014 entry impreza hatch back to this should be a fun upgrade. 0-60 3 seconds; 9-14 inches clearance; 3 feet of water wading depth. 7 passengers, 300 mi range. By Jan 2022 they will be announcing 400 mi range 7 seater.

But note, depending on wind and winter, you get less range, which makes this network so exciting.

Let’s not forget how much fun Tesla’s are to drive

Prius (2012) still has it's original battery, but it's a hybrid. I'd guess the full EVs have bigger batteries. They told us 2200 to replace it, but also said that price fluctuates wildly bases on the cost of raw materials. Our mechanic said that you also can pick out the words sections of the battery and replace those. If we get 3 more years out of it, we won't replace it.

I will say that little shitbox has been insanely reliable. Only ever changed the oil.
No more oil if you go full EV, not hybrid : ) I haven't looked in a while, but the maintenance list for a Tesla is a joke - wipers, brakes, and tires over 3-4 years. Compare that with an ICE and you are talking over a 1,000 right there.

Back