Enjoy this Thread Responsibly

You can’t go wrong with Rhônes. There are so many good wines out there from lesser known regions in Portugal, Spain, South Africa. Even in France there are lots of wines from places like the Loire and Alsace that are really great. It can be endless

You can’t go wrong with Rhônes. There are so many good wines out there from lesser known regions in Portugal, Spain, South Africa. Even in France there are lots of wines from places like the Loire and Alsace that are really great. It can be endless
Agreed. Both on Rhône and lesser known wine regions in general. The other night, I had a red Val de Loire from J. Moiret. Blend of pinot noir, Cabernet franc and a lesser known varietal called négrette. A whacked-out combination, but it was lighter bodied, fresh, with good structure and fruit. Ordinarily I don't think of the Loire for red wines; this was quite good.

On another note, I've recently had a few wines that were fermented and aged in amphorae. If you get the opportunity, check them out. Quite different than stainless / barrel etc.

Picked up a big ass bottle of Boone’s. Had to see for myself if it was “top six” worthy.

608FFEAB-ECF0-4E5F-A372-6D1E9AA5335F.jpeg

It’s alright. My favorite bourbon? No, but it’s good, and at a good price point. Of course when it first came I had to crack it open, immediately, and on first taste it came across boozy, but not necessarily rough. My son noted the forward sweet notes, which are a plus for a caramel/toffee fan such as I.

Then I reminded myself that it is 117 proof and I gave it time for a proper tasting. A single cube of ice was the key to unlocking this one, mellowing the bourbon to a strong, but enjoyable sipper!

If you see it locally I recommend you buy it. The 1.75 was priced well online....but the shipping pushed it to $80, which still isn’t bad for 1.75 of a good craft bourbon.

Last edited:
I also picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve. Man, that’s smooth. I guess that’s my trick for Scotch, up the age statement? This one comes at a premium over the 12 year, but not by that much.
they do not make a bad scotch. i have had there 12,15 and 18 but not the french oak reserve.

In my never ending quest....found another new (to me) bourbon.

B831753E-83A7-4A7D-960D-53B54DE09BDD.jpeg

Pretty good, although I think most bourbons are pretty good! At $47 for 750ml I’d say it’s better than something like Knob Creek.

BTW...did a tasting with my fam around the holidays. All agreed that Boone’s is deserving of its recent accolades. A new fav bourbon of all at the tasting!

I haven’t had Hirsch in really long time but I remember it being good. When I sold it, they had some supply issues that made them hard to support.

Kissed 2020 good buy drinking Jameson outside with neighbors. Kinda of how I spent most of 2020. Here is to 2021. We r owed some powder days. To better times ❄️

We’ve talked mixology supplies before, right? We must have.

Anyone else make their own simple syrup? Easy to do, a lot cheaper than buying a bottle of it, and you can play with flavors. Latest batch is a Dark Muscovado simple syrup. Due to the high molasses content and relatively strong flavor I didn’t go heavy. Quite good, but I’ll make a batch of heavy Demerara for everyday purposes.

Bitters. Anyone make those? Not me. The guy who runs Meyers Old Dutch (Beacon, good burgers and other stuff) is heavy into mixology. His bar looks much like a science lab, lots of bottle of all shapes, and many different homemade flavored bitters. I like watching a good bartender fashion a cocktail. I usually use Angostura Orange, although if I have oranges in the house I prefer to muddle some orange with regular Angostura bitters. A lot of other bitters out there, Woodford Cherry bitters is ok.

Cherries. Gotta be Luxardo. Wasting your time with anything else. Do not defile a Luxardo Cherry by muddling. Ever. A little bit of the syrup will flavor the drink sufficiently. Great in an Old Fashioned. Eating the cherries is the treat at the end of the treat (drink)!

What else is a crucial part of your bar?

Last edited:
Back