Enjoy this Thread Responsibly

So….Jefferson’s Ocean. What the fuck do I do with you? It may be a bit of a bourbon game changer for me…..

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ocean but I’ve always ignored it. I know bourbons, or so I thought, at least much better than I know Scotch. Well, curiosity got the best of me and I finally broke down and spent the $79.99 to see what all the Ocean fuss was about.

That was significant for me. I’ve spent above my well established (or so I thought) $50 bourbon price point on a few occasions here or there. I’d come to the conclusion that there are so many really good bourbons to be had in the $50 range that going up to an $80 bottle just wasn’t necessary. The difference for the additional $$ just didn’t justify it. Ocean may have just changed that.

Jefferson’s Ocean is really good. REALLY good. Much as I’ve come to find the difference between a $50 12 year single malt and an $80 15 year is significant enough to justify the price difference for a neat sipping whisky, Ocean might have just blown what I thought I knew about bourbon. I’ll put it to a further taste testing this weekend, but Ocean is really smooth and has great flavors, perhaps enough to justify the $$ difference. The whole Ocean aging thing might not be just a gimmick to coax additional $$ out of one’s pocket.

If I’m willing to keep an $80 single malt or Japanese whiskey on hand because it’s truly better than the cheaper bottles….why wouldn’t I do the same and spend $80 on a sipping bourbon that I now know has a significant difference?

Of course that begs the question…because it seems I don’t know bourbons as well as I thought I did…what other $80 bourbons are out there that I’m missing the boat on?

Anywho….if you go get a bottle of Ocean I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. As good as a Knob Creek might be, it’s turpentine in comparison!

So, I’m kind of not quite disappointed.

George Dickel recently released v.3 of their Bottled In Bond series. This offering being a 13 year aged bourbon.

It didn’t cost much. Near $50 for a 13 year old? Yeah, sign me up.

It was alright. Needed a cube to unlock.

Ocean was better….

Jimmy Russell believes 8 years is optimal for bourbon. As far as I’m concerned that’s the final word.

Whiskies... Black Maple Hill, from Oregon. Nikka "Whisky from the Barrel" (Japan). Michter's makes some good stuff too.

Peter…Peter…Peter….one of my biggest whiskey disappointments in life (yeah, life is rough ;)) is when my daughter DIDN’T bring me back a couple bottles of Nikka from the barrel after we visited her in the Netherlands. I found it in the duty free shop, it was excellent.

She didn’t have time to get me any on her way through. I will never forgive her!

In all seriousness, that’s some good shit.

Funny.

I’ve you’ve never seen it, watch Another Round (Druk, in Danish). You get surprisingly used to the subtitles. Good movie.

Back