COVID-19 stats and research news - until Nov. 15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol is there a shortage of preparation h wipes
With all the lockdowns in Australia, they are back to having to hunt for toilet paper in some of the major cities. :)

What messed up Australia and New Zealand is that they did so well with closed international borders in 2020 that the plan for having vaccines in the country meant very little supply until late 2021. Also had complications with Astra Zeneca (AZ), which was the primary vaccine for Australia. AZ is manufactured in Australia.

All the island nations are having issues because Delta changed the situation. I look at Iceland, Taiwan, Singapore, New Zealand, and Hawaii every so often to what's happening. In some ways, Maine and Alaska have similar issues. All started dealing with surges in recent months.

Warning, lots of graphs in this post. There are even more possible on the Our World In Data website. Possible to pick which counties to consider.

The reason I pay attention to Denmark is that it's pretty much completely back to normal. Meaning no mask requirements or other public health measures to slow community spread. That's what can happen when the vaccination rate is very high.

Obviously with 330 million people, the USA is very different from small countries. The vaccine rollout has been pretty amazing, even with all the problems initially. Note that the usual percentage of adults who get an annual flu shot consistently is under 50%.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.51.09 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.51.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.52.34 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.53.31 PM.jpg

I ran out of N95s a while ago , I've been using disposables but had a horrifying experience the other day . I laid a mask on my cellphone that was off and with the dark screen saw dozens of mask particles. Crap I'm breathing this garbage that I have no idea what it is. My Dad passed from COPD so it's unsettling .

What is going on with chicken wings? That is serious.
Football season
Just made 80lb of them at work
Available just expensive.

Cornell has separated faculty and staff on its dashboard. (The students have always had their own column.) This is interesting because staff are the least vaccinated population on campus, hanging at 91 percent.

Since August 16, we have had 596 cases. Last semester, we had 591 (from Feb 1 - August 13 and many of us were remote, however). Students and staff are currently tied for the number of cases.

Not sure I like the "self-replicating" part.
Just starting Phase 1. Being announced in a business news outlet. I don't pay too much attention to those sort of articles. When a vaccine candidate makes it to Phase 2/3, that's more interesting. This one seems to be a variation of the mRNA idea. Any more medical or immunology details are beyond me.

There are 22 vaccines approved worldwide, plus almost 100 under development. I'm only paying attention to Pfizer Comirnaty (trying to remember how to spell it), Moderna Spikevax, J&J (1-shot), and Astra Zeneca. Plus Novovax if that company can solve their manufacturing issues. Only interested in AZ because that's what Australia banked on. Also being used a fair amount in the UK.

Cornell has separated faculty and staff on its dashboard. (The students have always had their own column.) This is interesting because staff are the least vaccinated population on campus, hanging at 91 percent.

Since August 16, we have had 596 cases. Last semester, we had 591 (from Feb 1 - August 13 and many of us were remote, however). Students and staff are currently tied for the number of cases.
In other words, the students are doing better than the staff. Although in general the daily numbers are pretty low. Not too surprising since vaccination is required, with the usual medical/religious exemption combined with regular testing.

Duke University near me is about the same size as Cornell. Also a private university with a lot of grad students. Difference is that Duke is in more of a metropolitan area, and in the southeast, while Cornell is in central NY in a relatively small college town.

Duke had some real problems in Aug-Sep 2020. Managed to keep students on campus but just barely. Decided vaccination would be required for everyone during the summer. Also mandatory for all employees of Duke Hospital, which is right next to campus. Duke is doing surveillance testing, in addition to the required testing for the small percentage of people who are unvaccinated for whatever reason. Pretty clear the students are doing better than the faculty/staff. About the same number of positive results but very different denominators. I would guess most of the employee positive cases are staff, not faculty.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.19.18 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back