COVID-19 stats and research news - until Nov. 15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week Canada's regulatory agency fully approved both Pfizer and Moderna for 12+. Pfizer's marketing name is Comirnaty. Moderna came up with Spikevax. FDA approval for Pfizer came on August 23. Moderna was slower to provide all the required documentation, probably for manufacturing. FDA approval for Moderna should happen soon.

September 16, 2021

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) approved Moderna for children ages 12-17 in July. In general vaccination of children under 17 is not consistent across countries for Pfizer or Moderna.

July 23, 2021

With all the news about boosters, or not, some people are starting to wonder if getting a shot of a different type of vaccine would be useful. That's been a subject of research and debate in the UK, Canada, and Australia for months because they have had Astra Zeneca available. For Canada and Australia, it was the primary vaccine for quite a while. The general sense is that getting shots of two different types of vaccines may be useful. In Canada it was okay to get a second shot of Pfizer after AZ in June 2021. In the UK, studies are looking at mix-and-match of various combinations. The formal term is heterologous vaccination.

I'm not sure why the scientist in the Sept. article said that studies about heterologous vaccination hadn't been done for COVID-19. Might be because the published studies so far are based on AZ as the first dose. There is no one studying Pfizer after Moderna or vice versa that I know of. There are people who had J&J that want to get a second shot of an mRNA vaccine. But when it comes to medication, more is not necessarily better if you don't understand how a drug or vaccine actually works.

June 17, 2021

June 25, 2021, Lancet
Heterologous vaccine regimens against COVID-19

May 19, 2021

September 17, 2021

I was under the impression that this was true early on, but now N95s are widely available. IMO they seem better than the average blue mask, tighter fit and better filtration.

I hope so. We just bought 100 of them for our employees, as we have them returning to work. They span the scale, some are very worried (and working on doctor's notes) others could care less. This past week was the first week, so far it seems like it went pretty well. There are only ten of us in the home office and we have 3000 sq feet.

Mostly have used the masks for people who show up without them, the plumber and electrician, to keep people relaxed.

When I bought my first N95 at the beginning of the pandemic, I kept it for 2 months (gross huh). It was individually wrapped and like $15. We got those masks at work for 80 cents a piece, a box of 100. Price and quantity seems to indicate a good supply.

Marz thanks for this thread. Not sure if this kind of stuff ^^ is too far afield from the topic. LMK.
I was talking about the use of N-95 by the poster during the the pandemic including early on, I don’t know why excuses are trying to be made, but I have guys in construction unable to use N-95 masks, also , do you see the the president using an N-95 mask? Ted Olson is 81 he can afford anything he wants be he refuses to buy N-95 masks because he knows they are for health care workers , we spoke about it and he ask’s who on here can show where it says for the public to use N-95 masks?, I find it strange people can find all sorts of info and stats, but they take a blind eye to the info I posted about the masks, come on let’s take this pandemic seriously and show that skiers care about the poor health care workers

I also want to add that you don’t see football players, actors etc etc (people with money) wearing N-95 etc etc, who do you see wearing them? if I had one on people would give me shit, people who care, that’s why I brought it up,

My perception is that early on N95s were in short but that they are now widely available. I also remember seeing a story in the spring that they’re the only masks that really provide significant levels of protection.

It's my understanding that lesser masks protect others (somewhat). The N95 give more protection to others and much more to the user.

It's my understanding that lesser masks protect others (somewhat). The N95 give more protection to others and much more to the user.
N95s are designed to protect the wearer.

Some have N95s have exhalation valves some don’t.
Note that N95 respirators with exhalation valves should not be used when sterile conditions are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back