COVID-19 stats and research news - until Nov. 15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many people have gone for the 1-shot J&J. The pause for extra review of a rare adverse event decreased interest a lot. Since there was ample supply of Pfizer and Moderna, it didn't make that much difference is turns of the pace of the vaccine rollout. I thought more people would prefer only having to get one shot. By May, all adults 18+ were eligible to get vaccinated. Pfizer was available for 16-17 year olds too. The emergency approval of Pfizer for ages 12-15 happened by mid-May.

My family ended up with a mix. I and my daughter got Moderna. My husband and DD's SO got Pfizer. DD and her SO were actually vaccinated before my high risk husband because they had jobs during the winter that were in healthcare. The jobs were short term or part-time so that was a bonus. DH has since had a third shot of Pfizer because he qualifies as immunocompromised.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 1.49.33 PM.png

The FDA ruled tonight to permit emergency use authorization of a booster dose of Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine for certain populations.
  • individuals 65 years of age and older;
  • individuals 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19; and
  • individuals 18 through 64 years of age whose frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19 including severe COVID-19.
I wonder if that includes school employees?

I wonder if that includes school employees?
Good question, IDK.

“Today’s action demonstrates that science and the currently available data continue to guide the FDA’s decision-making for COVID-19 vaccines during this pandemic. After considering the totality of the available scientific evidence and the deliberations of our advisory committee of independent, external experts, the FDA amended the EUA for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to allow for a booster dose in certain populations such as health care workers, teachers and day care staff, grocery workers and those in homeless shelters or prisons, among others,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D. “This pandemic is dynamic and evolving, with new data about vaccine safety and effectiveness becoming available every day. As we learn more about the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines, including the use of a booster dose, we will continue to evaluate the rapidly changing science and keep the public informed.”

Last edited:
Just read I’m eligible
When did you have your second Pfizer shot? Given the way the vaccine rollout started, most of the people who got fully vaccinated before March 2021 may fit in one of the categories approved for a booster shot. Many states didn't open up eligibility to everyone 16+ for Pfizer until April.

Has to be at least six months since the 2nd shot of Pfizer Comirnaty.

"Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to allow for use of a single booster dose, to be administered at least six months after completion of the primary series in:

• individuals 18 through 64 years of age whose frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19 including severe COVID-19.
Today’s authorization applies only to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. "

Last edited:
When did you have your second Pfizer shot? Given the way the vaccine rollout started, most of the people who got fully vaccinated before March 2021 may fit in one of the categories approved for a booster shot. Many states didn't open up eligibility to everyone 16+ for Pfizer until April.

Has to be at least six months since the 2nd shot of Pfizer Comirnaty.

"Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to allow for use of a single booster dose, to be administered at least six months after completion of the primary series in:

Today’s authorization applies only to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. "
Second shot on March 6

Second shot on March 6
My husband asked me if I was going to get a booster. He already had a third shot because he's immunocompromised and he got Pfizer. I forgot I turned 65 in June 2021 so would be considered eligible by age. I don't have any high risk factors related to occupation or medical history. He forgot I got Moderna in April so it's a moot point.

65 as a cut off is like 50 as a cut off for changing the DIN on ski bindings. Have to put an age, but it's not always going to apply.

I don't think anyone is ever going to call it Comirnaty after calling it Pfizer for over a year.
In Europe, it's sometimes called BioNTech, not Pfizer. Or at least Pfizer/BioNTech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back