Coronavirus and Skiing

It's due to an increase in outdoor recreation and spillover from Vermont.

That's why I put it in this thread.

Of the Vermont spillover, I wonder how many are going back, and how many decided to stick with ORDA.

Good question. My guess is that when things get back to old normal, it won't be that different. People do things for a reason, and I don't think most of those reasons (snowfall, vert, amenities) have changed.

It will be interesting to see how many of the new weekday skiers from last year continue to ski on weekdays, and how many go back to weekends.

Agree. This year and next.

I'm not thinking this year will be covid free or normal. Would love to be wrong.

I will probably continue to ski weekdays, with the benefits and drawbacks. Better snow and day selection, no lines, fewer ski days and more driving. Not feeling too good about the driving.

A 10 minute chairlift ride and sitting in a school all day are not even in the same world in terms of the risk of getting covid.

Liftlines are more the issue IMO.

@raisingarizona 600 in quarantine, how many total kids in the school?

It's due to an increase in outdoor recreation and spillover from Vermont. Of the Vermont spillover, I wonder how many are going back, and how many decided to stick with ORDA. Either way, they have a busy season coming their way and need to be loading all lifts at full capacity. Last year, all the growth was on weekdays, since weekends were always sold out. At Gore, I believe their target was about 75% of what they typically did on a busy weekend before the pandemic, judging from the parking lot. It will be interesting to see how many of the new weekday skiers from last year continue to ski on weekdays, and how many go back to weekends.
There will be more kids back in their local school buildings this year. Our system is not offering remote/zoom as an alternative to going into the building. Remote learning will exist only if the whole school is closed (snow day). This will lead to less midweek skiers as families cannot move into ski houses while their kids take their daily classes.

And loading the lifts half full makes them longer.

I was only in lines one day, over Christmas at Gore. I may skip Christmas skiing this year.

Sno how was your season last year? Mine was excellent (cept for the covid I got doh!).

All your stressing isn't going to change what is going to happen.

Question, if Vermont is fully open to NYers will that change where you ski? I think it might be. Vermont is highly vaxxed and they are likely to want to make up revenue after last year.

I thought last season turned out as good as it could have been given the circumstances. There were no long term closures of any Northeast resort. But I do not think any of the measures taken should be made permanent, or even in place for another season.

For next season, I switched to Killington. I'm lucky enough to live within day trip range, and wanted to take advantage of the long season. So that was the main reason for doing it. An added bonus is I see them being among the most likely to operate normally. ORDA would be the least likely. But I didn't really think of that when I purchased.

Never was in a line of more than a dozen folks last year and that was very rare & due to lift stoppage.
All mid week non-holiday except at the end.
Bounced between Song - Lab but surely missed goin ta Gore.
Too easy to stay around home since the snow was good.
If we didn’t have the heat wave late was gonna go up but she melted too fast and golf course opened.

A 10 minute chairlift ride and sitting in a school all day are not even in the same world in terms of the risk of getting covid.
Never was in a line of more than a dozen folks last year and that was very rare & due to lift stoppage.
All mid week non-holiday except at the end.
Bounced between Song - Lab but surely missed goin ta Gore.
Too easy to stay around home since the snow was good.
If we didn’t have the heat wave late was gonna go up but she melted too fast and golf course opened.
I sat out last year
I plan on skiing this year
As long as I can boot up in the lodge

Back