Coronavirus and Skiing

This is a funny book about the dynamic written in 1983, when Ben and Jerry and the Church St Marketplace were still new. Some dated references but the humor remains. My god, he would have had a field day with all the breweries.
We had that book when I was a kid. The title was a play on "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche." I can't remember what that book was about, though.

Vermont gets a bad rap for being unfriendly, but IME most rural areas are the same way. The optimistic locals mostly move to the city for better opportunities, and the ones who stay are worried that newcomers will take their jobs or that second home owners will push up property values to the point that their children can't buy homes. That's definitely true of Upstate NY. Places where there's lots of opportunity are typically the friendliest. NYC is thought of as hostile, but it really is an easy place for newcomers.

mm
I moved to a rural part of NY and if you're not several generations deep your voice doesn't count. People are friendly, helpful, nice and neighborly but getting anything done is near impossible. Assessments, code enforcement, animal control, board meetings, zoning, etc... Good luck.

Excerpt:

MONTPELIER, Vt. — The COVID-19 pandemic has made the Green Mountains of Vermont a little less green.

As of the end of February, the 2020-21 ski season in Vermont saw a 30 percent overall drop-off in revenue, with losses estimated at $100 million, according to the Vermont Ski Areas Association.

Year-to-year, paid skier visits declined by more than 40 percent, lodging revenues by 60 percent, and food and beverage revenues by 70 percent.

I just hate articles like this.

Yes, Vermont saw a big drop in tourist revenue. They also didn't see a steep rise in Covid related deaths because they did the right thing. Somehow our amazing communal sacrifice and compassion for others is completely ignored and the focus is placed on money.

We saved Nana's life by hard work and selflessness but the CEO of Vail Industries, Inc. is going to have to make do with only two Lear jets this year. The first fact should be the story, not the second.

Yes, Vermont saw a big drop in tourist revenue. They also didn't see a steep rise in Covid related deaths because they did the right thing. Somehow our amazing communal sacrifice and compassion for others is completely ignored and the focus is placed on money.

We saved Nana's life by hard work and selflessness but the CEO of Vail Industries, Inc. is going to have to make do with only two Lear jets this year. The first fact should be the story, not the second.
Those small business owners who rely on winter tourists may disagree. Lots of people lost their livelihood because VT closes.

Those small business owners who rely on winter tourists may disagree. Lots of people lost their livelihood because VT closes.
Those small business owners can move back to NY, NJ, CT and go back to the corporate world they escaped from :LOL: .

-Grumpy NJ Resident who couldn't make "the dream" work.

The article is reporting important news about the financial state of VT as a result of Covid. Should journalists avoid doing their jobs?

I posted it because it was the first time I've seen estimated numbers.

It was about what I expected to tell the truth.

I was adding no comment about right and wrong. I actually think the VT thing worked out reasonably well considering VTs goals, with some staying away and some ignoring the guidance.

Year-to-year, paid skier visits declined by more than 40 percent, lodging revenues by 60 percent, and food and beverage revenues by 70 percent.
I get the lodging and F&B being down significantly. What I don't get is the paid skier visits being down by 40 percent.
I heard about crazy lines and busier than usual weekdays. Is that because the people skiing were skiing on season passes? People who could work remotely moving to their second homes in VT and skiing more including weekdays?
Could it be that some areas like Jay that rely on Canadian skiers were down more and some like Mount Snow were maybe even up on skier visits?

Back