Coronavirus and Skiing

Add in the fact that Vermonters hate people, particularly flatlanders and I think it all worked out.

I lived in VT for 4 years and didn't find this true. I did get enjoy it when I was called a flatlander as I was quick to inform them the mountains in NY are taller than the ones in VT. That ended that conversation rather quickly.

Vermont gets a bad rap for being unfriendly, but IME most rural areas are the same way. The optimistic locals mostly move to the city for better opportunities, and the ones who stay are worried that newcomers will take their jobs or that second home owners will push up property values to the point that their children can't buy homes. That's definitely true of Upstate NY. Places where there's lots of opportunity are typically the friendliest. NYC is thought of as hostile, but it really is an easy place for newcomers.

mm

Not in industrialized tourism but my entire career was spent in foodservice. I get it that the customer is not always right. And that the customer can often act like a tool.

I've met plenty of Vermonters and for the most part they are great folks. Same can be said for anywhere I have visited domestically or internationally. I have also spoken to Vermonters who were rude and disdainful of people from NY. Just like anywhere else I've visited.

I was asked to stay out of VT if I didn't follow rules I don't agree with. I did that. And it turned out to be no great loss. And I'm not expecting VT to do anything to get my business back. Which is probably no great loss to VT.

As has been mentioned before, it's OK to poke fun at VT in a NY forum.
I’m all about poking fun! But it’s a two way street and there has definitely been some butthurttitude around here when the conversation turns to local v. flatlanders......or license plate colors.

Over here in NH they’re Massholes.....whether from Massachusetts or not.

Very common for front line tourism workers to have general disdain for the customers. Mostly low paid and far removed from the point of sale transaction.

I was a bottom shack lift operator for 2 and a half weeks in 1994. I could not handle it. The general din of the drone of the bullwheel. The confinement. The mostly indifferent 4 second social interactions with guests. I didn’t want to “get used to it”. I made a mad dash for the rental shop when the opportunity presented itself. At least you can walk away from a customer or coworker for a minute. Collect yourself.

If you know a righteous liftie who stays positive, remembers you, does the job well, even when it’s not a beautiful spring day, thank them.

Personally I love Vermonters, ornery bastards, real salt of the folks, especially the ones who wont consider you a "real Vermonter" unless your family goes back four generations in the state. Act 250, billboard laws, and many other aspects of how the state reigns in tourism and development are frankly what keeps me wanting to move back after my five year hiatus. It's a real special place and very unique when comparing it with its neighbors. That said the lack of reliable broadband internet and no real economic base outside of tourism make it a very difficult place to be able to make work financially. Which Hobbles comments about front line tourism workers as well as Milos comments ring very true to me. Regardless, there is no other state I would prefer to raise a family.

Personally I love Vermonters, ornery bastards, real salt of the folks, especially the ones who wont consider you a "real Vermonter" unless your family goes back four generations in the state. Act 250, billboard laws, and many other aspects of how the state reigns in tourism and development are frankly what keeps me wanting to move back after my five year hiatus. It's a real special place and very unique when comparing it with its neighbors. That said the lack of reliable broadband internet and no real economic base outside of tourism make it a very difficult place to be able to make work financially. Which Hobbles comments about front line tourism workers as well as Milos comments ring very true to me. Regardless, there is no other state I would prefer to raise a family.
A 9th generation bovine farmer from Enosburg Falls or somewhere likely sees little to no difference between a guy who spent 4 years at UVM and 3 winters on the Sugarbush ski patrol, and a guy from NY metro who skis in VT 3 weekends a year.

This is a funny book about the dynamic written in 1983, when Ben and Jerry and the Church St Marketplace were still new. Some dated references but the humor remains. My god, he would have had a field day with all the breweries.

A 9th generation bovine farmer from Enosburg Falls or somewhere likely sees little to no difference between a guy who spent 4 years at UVM and 3 winters on the Sugarbush ski patrol, and a guy from NY metro who skis in VT 3 weekends a year.
Had a classmate in my time up there whose family had been raising dairy cows in Alburg before the US Canada boarder existed, really clued me into the dynamic and made me realize how far the Mad River Valley is from being "real Vermont".

I was a bottom shack lift operator for 2 and a half weeks in 1994. I could not handle it. The general din of the drone of the bullwheel. The confinement. The mostly indifferent 4 second social interactions with guests. I didn’t want to “get used to it”. I made a mad dash for the rental shop when the opportunity presented itself. At least you can walk away from a customer or coworker for a minute. Collect yourself.

If you know a righteous liftie who stays positive, remembers you, does the job well, even when it’s not a beautiful spring day, thank them.
I said more "thank you" to the lifties this year than all the other years put together. Most every time.

Back