Coronavirus and Skiing

There have been several outbreaks (2+ cases at the same location) at ski resorts out west in the last six weeks. None have caused an open resort to shut down lifts. There was a delay of Opening Day for a small mountain in CA by a few days when employees tested positive. The best public info is for Colorado. Resort employees have included ski instructors, lodging staff, and others.

Many states have managed to document and do contact tracing for outbreaks at small businesses. Usual approach for a restaurant is to close for a week or two. At least that was the happening Jun-Nov when I was paying closer attention.
The Jan 22nd ORDA board meeting had Rona info relating to their employees. There was also other some good info relating to their overall safety programs. Appears they’re going in the right direction.

I'm about over this shit and I'm struggling to motivate to go up on the mountain. It's become such a hassle that it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Covid has opened up a lot more time for people and our ski area is basically sold out every day now. I used to leave my house at 7:15 to get first chair on a powder day, now I have to leave by 6:45 and I'm sometimes still in a giant line of cars on the access road. Then we sit there in the car in the lot until 8 or 8:30 to line up and stand there waiting for another half hour for the lift to load at 9. This weekend the new lift broke down and the six pack line was twice the distance out from the corral and looped up the ski run. I went to the car and started cracking beers. It seems like this is the more normal experience skiing here now. It's really hard to remain positive right now and I'm feeling like the good ole days are over. Time to get back into backpacking so I can get the hell away from all of these people. I don't like spending my free time fighting traffic and standing in lines, that crap is for the city folk.

Fortunately i discovered Gore..yeah its 4 hours away and i leave at 345 am..but once your out of the base area..its uncrowded..i hate crowds as well...working in nyc has done that to me...
Need a change

Fortunately i discovered Gore..yeah its 4 hours away and i leave at 345 am..but once your out of the base area..its uncrowded..i hate crowds as well...working in nyc has done that to me...
Need a change
Slug, are you LI?

Arizaona, sorry to hear it. I think you flexibility is good, and this is not fun but you will get through this. Belle, which was getting too crowded before this, has been my destination a handful of days. When there is more than a minute line (by say 10 am), I bug out, drive down the road, and do a short hike in nature and head home.

Not ideal, but the flexibility was key. Good for you on leaving.

Also, I sadly heard that a mid island fourth grade class had to quarantine because a family that goes to Windham every weekend contracted covid. The contract tracing pointed to Windham - we see the direct knock on effects of risk and choice. Not sayin one approach is better than the other.

I just personally can't deal with the stress of worrying about my brood on the hills, so they won't ski this year. Admittedly only my son is close to as passionate about it as me, so maybe not a big loss to them. Can't tell with my daughter sometimes. She is 7, going on 17. : )

I’m suddenly looking more forward to packed powder days than powder days.
E0135E1B-F3BB-44B5-867C-CCBD22EF8B5B.jpeg

964200FB-07C9-439D-B521-87A4F9364591.jpeg

The COVID world is a pain....but stop with that silly talk, RA!

Although the Winter Park outbreak among employees is a relatively large one, there have been reported outbreaks (2+ cases) involving Colorado ski resort staff pretty much all season. Finding the official list for all CO outbreaks is straightforward. Fair to say that CO is very aware of what is happening in the ski industry, from the destination resorts to ski areas like Monarch. The level of effort I experienced related to keeping up mask usage while loading lifts and avoiding crowding indoors was pretty impressive in the past week. My crew of four (NC, PA, OH, NM-driving) skied at Monarch, Wolf Creek, Copper, Loveland, and ABasin. Spent Super Bowl weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) at Wolf Creek. Two skied in Colorado and at JH in Dec, while I and my ski buddy from the midwest skied at JH and Alta with a couple other travel buddies from the east. Everyone who got tested before and/or after traveling tested negative.

Local Denver news makes the point that detected outbreaks have been mainly been among locals and employees. Under 5 cases among guests as I remember.

Following article is from Feb. 4.

Last edited:
Back