Coronavirus and Skiing

River, I agree. My comment on this piece:

I'm a big VT Digger fan. But something about the article (or maybe the lodging association's position) is odd. The state has laid out the rules and they are pretty restrictive. (< Not editorializing on that). People are understanding them correctly IMO. The only nuance may be that people didn't understand them before and because of the way "the map" has looked recently this is not a big change.

I get where lodging is coming from. The rules as laid out will put a big hurt on them, financially.

Making this season happen is like banging a square peg into a round hole..unless there is some miracle , it's probably better for the industry to shut down..Probably save money doing that too.. At least in the North East..
There is no virus out west

Making this season happen is like banging a square peg into a round hole..unless there is some miracle , it's probably better for the industry to shut down..Probably save money doing that too.. At least in the North East..
There is no virus out west
Was that last comment about the west tongue in cheek? Things are pretty bad everywhere. Utah's governor (R) even ordered a mask mandate due to their +20% testing positivity rate.

I think it would be a good idea to have all ski areas delay opening until MLK day. Get past the holiday's and then hopefully the spike is over, once many conspiracy theorists realize that this thing is really happening.

By then, more state's will come to their senses and limit operations of the worst indoor spreading locations like bars, restaurants, etc. and require masks inside any business. Take a minor hit up front in hopes of a strong finish and going the distance in the end (when the natural snow is at its best).

Early season low crowd powder days in December are among my favorite. But otherwise, I can live without skiing a crowded WROD and wait until base depths build, no problem. I am far more concerned with missing mid-January through March.

Riv yes it was...
I totally agree with your idea about the delayed opening..

Was that last comment about the west tongue in cheek? Things are pretty bad everywhere. Utah's governor (R) even ordered a mask mandate due to their +20% testing positivity rate.

I think it would be a good idea to have all ski areas delay opening until MLK day. Get past the holiday's and then hopefully the spike is over, once many conspiracy theorists realize that this thing is really happening.

By then, more state's will come to their senses and limit operations of the worst indoor spreading locations like bars, restaurants, etc. and require masks inside any business. Take a minor hit up front in hopes of a strong finish and going the distance in the end (when the natural snow is at its best).

Early season low crowd powder days in December are among my favorite. But otherwise, I can live without skiing a crowded WROD and wait until base depths build, no problem. I am far more concerned with missing mid-January through March.
I hate to be Debbie Downer.....but I agree. With the virus now spreading exponentially and even Utah's governor issuing a mask mandate, I don't see many ski areas opening any time soon.

I hate to be Debbie Downer.....but I agree. With the virus now spreading exponentially and even Utah's governor issuing a mask mandate, I don't see many ski areas opening any time soon.
I was beginning to have doubts about the season being able to start but hearing the Salimano on the podcast got me stoked again and seeing the Beast blowing snow hopefully it won’t be long to make some top to bottom turns that will be priceless

Another way to think about opening by mid-December is to give ski resorts a chance to test out their winter operations plans. For some, there may not be any issues. For others, they may well have to make adjustments. If they wait until mid-Jan there won't be time to adjust before the season is essentially over.

Wolf Creek is having a better time than ABasin right now. Being farther away from Denver is proving to be useful to WCSA. ABasin probably opened with too little terrain given they don't have a reservation system in place for lift access or parking.

Much will be learned in the next couple weeks in Colorado and on the west coast as a few ski resorts open. There are a fair number of ski resorts in the Mountain West scheduled to open by the first week of Dec. The approaches to limiting the number of people and making completely different use of indoor spaces and parking lots (cars as lockers) are radically different from what most people out there are used to doing.

For Colorado, enough people ski/board or at least understand the importance of the industry or the sport to their friends that the pressure to do better now in order to have a ski season may well be helpful.

Wyoming is also seriously considering a mask mandate. Apparently a WY State House representative died of COVID-19 a day before he was re-elected (unopposed). He opposed public restrictions. He got COVID-19 some time in October but wasn't tested at first. Only tested after he had to be hospitalized. The reason wasn't released until after his death.

I was beginning to have doubts about the season being able to start but hearing the Salimano on the podcast got me stoked again and seeing the Beast blowing snow hopefully it won’t be long to make some top to bottom turns that will be priceless
Ah, well, he's somebody who has spent millions over the last few years to host a World Cup ski race that, in the end, benefits no Killington skier in the long run. So, I'm not surprised the guns are blowing cold hard cash right now. Let's go bankrupt again!

Here, science:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1132-9

It backs up my argument that people are really dreaming that everything will be cool if we lock down until Jan 1 or something like that, and then we can have a season. Not gonna happen.

“Projections of current non-pharmaceutical intervention strategies by state—with social distancing mandates reinstated when a threshold of 8 deaths per million population is exceeded (reference scenario)—suggest that, cumulatively, 511,373 (469,578–578,347) lives could be lost to COVID-19 across the United States by 28 February 2021. We find that achieving universal mask use (95% mask use in public) could be sufficient to ameliorate the worst effects of epidemic resurgences in many states. Universal mask use could save an additional 129,574 (85,284–170,867) lives from September 22, 2020 through the end of February 2021, or an additional 95,814 (60,731–133,077) lives assuming a lesser adoption of mask wearing (85%), when compared to the reference scenario.”

So, worst case, which, from what I see on the news out there, is our current situation, this winter will witness another quarter million dead. That's our present death total over about eight months essentially doubling in three. Best case, meaning universal mask usage (har har) is not really that much less. Now, with that kind of carnage, do you think that the powers that be could care less about a bunch of people who want to ski?

skiing during the World Cup was amazing! they had such a huge crowd watching and we just kept skiing with hardly any lines , the views and sounds we heard from the Gondola can’t be duplicated, it’s a great boost for skiing, the Canadian Air Force flew over, observing that from their level at the peak was unbelievable
top that shit off with the Killington gave out COW BELLs and you were on wide world of sports, they are quite loyal to their skiers

Attachments

• 0FCC2F46-9B8F-44FC-8C85-FD99B74DEF6F.jpeg
    0FCC2F46-9B8F-44FC-8C85-FD99B74DEF6F.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back