Coronavirus and Skiing

No, because they have around 1700 employees, not 1000.
You can’t change the question to match your answer, but you can still do better on the final.

86 is still enough to shut down the mountain depending on where they work. Hunter shut shut down last year when they lost patrollers and I’m sure that was fewer than 86.

mm

They have around 1700 employees. 86 out of 1700 is less of a percent than 86 out of 1000. As of now, they have curtailed certain services, but all the normal weekday lifts are scheduled for tomorrow, and they are making snow. You can't compare to last season when almost no one was vaccinated and there were much stricter quarantine policies.

I was just guessing when I said 1000.

Have heard from a friend (Massanutten regular) that people at Steamboat haven't been masking much indoors since she started skiing yesterday. I have other friends who will be skiing Steamboat next week. We'll see if things change when a higher percentage of the people on the slopes are locals and people who can avoid holiday travel.

Masking at Wolf Creek in the main lodge with the cafeteria and bar was quite good the week of Dec. 11. Presumably most people were locals and regulars. We chatted with a guy on a lift ride who was part of a group of 20 OK State students who were sharing a house for several days. They were a royal pain clogging up the trail at the top of front side lifts (all boarders, mixed abilities) who kept getting yelled out by the liftie at the top. But even they were masking indoors.

Colorado is much more relaxed than anywhere in the Northeast (good for them). I don't believe that Steamboat has a mask requirement for guests. I mostly ski at Killington, so I can only speak for there. They have a mask requirement that applies to the lodges and gondolas. Compliance is nearly 100% in the lodges, but it is widely ignored at both gondolas. I expect compliance to slip further when cases fall. If I'm in a gondola cabin with other unmasked people, then I don't bother wearing mine, and that has usually been the case.

Getting through the holiday period was tough around SLC. Not having much snow was issue #1. Having breakthrough cases that were probably Omicron was issue #2 because it led to staffing shortages just when every employee was critical. Alta Lifts had staffing shortages that led to Wildcat not running one day and the cancellation of the traditional New Year's Eve celebration event.

December 29, 2021

With the pandemic issues at the forefront, I don't think the Alta parking reservation system caused much of an issue. But I wasn't really paying attention.

The Alta parking system is different from what Snowbird and other Powdr resorts were using in 2021-22. From what I can tell as of today, advanced space for January Saturdays and MLK Sunday are sold out. More Week Of spaces are released on Sundays. Only applies to weekends and holidays from 8am-1pm until April 3, or early morning weekdays 6-8am. On weekends, no one is allowed to park before 8am. $25 or $10 if someone buys a lift ticket from Alta.com . A parking reservation is not specific to a particular lot.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.59.11 PM.png

Back