Coronavirus and Skiing

NY governor declared a disaster emergency Friday the same day Gore & Whiteface opened, so there’s that.
There's blatant misinformation in there. Says that covid transmission is the highest since April 2020. So there wasn't a wave last winter that peaked much higher than we are now? Way to rewrite history.

If there was a political forum, then I could go more into depth about possible motivations, but I think anyone can agree that intentionally putting misinformation in an executive order is bad.

I believe there is pressure on any elected official, or even on private businesses to look like they are "doing something". That's why you end up with dumb rules like mandatory masks while walking to your table in the restaurant. Most people know this is stupid and ineffective, but they are trying to appease a small but vocal minority. The problem is that for elected officials, performative measures like this seem to be distracting from things that could actually save lives.

It's also public health experts, who have a heavy influence on elected officials if you live in a blue state/county/city/town.
When did science based public health policy become a political issue?
My concern is panicky politicians imposing new restrictions as a knee jerk reaction, only to later find out later that it wasn't necessary, but the collateral damage can't be undone.
It's an impossible situation for leaders. If the don't take steps to avoid disasters, they are blamed for inaction. If they take measures that successfully avoid the disaster, everyone believes that the hardships created as a consequence of the were unnecassary or even imposed in bad faith. Add to it that the authority to deal with public health is mostly in county health departments with ...um...variable leadership, it's will be a wonder if any governor survives a serious outbreak.

mm

There's blatant misinformation in there. Says that covid transmission is the highest since April 2020. So there wasn't a wave last winter that peaked much higher than we are now? Way to rewrite history.
I'm not sure that's right. There's a difference between "transmission" and "peak cases." Anecdotally, cases have increased rapidly around here recently, expecially in Warren, Essex and Washington counties. The time to intervene is when you expect exponential growth in cases. By the time you have the data to prove you have exponential growth, it's too late to do much about it.
We will be in full pandemic reaction mode until everyone accepts that random debilitating disease and horrible death are acceptable risks and the new normal. Some will accept that sooner than others.

mm

Back