Building a House with Wood

This is really about the garage but it relates to both. Since windows will match.

Today AA asked me by text if we were going with Pella or Andersen I swear to god he told me Anderson 400 was the way to go, and the house and garage drawings have all the Anderson stock numbers listed.

What are pros and cons of Andersen vs Pella?

Full disclosure we decided on Andersen today, they were working on framing/rough openings. So probably won't change. I assumed Andersen were cheaper, but I don't actually know.

potato / patatah as long as you get the performance, muntin and finish options you want

potato / patatah as long as you get the performance, muntin and finish options you want
Yup. And size.
It’s easier to put the best size in now than replacing windows later on cause the size coulda been better than what was installed in the “finished” house and garage...

I was thinking 6 over 1. What do you like?

I haven't even consider "performance" I just assumed Anderson would be as good or better then most? What is the bar?

Finish is like woah. The hardest part of this whole job is picking the damn colors.

I haven't even consider "performance" I just assumed Anderson would be as good or better then most? What is the bar?

Finish is like woah. The hardest part of this whole job is picking the damn colors.
Assuming the house and garage are stylistically similar thats a nice look. Depending on the proportions (= more vertical) and scale Ive seen some 2/2 that look pretty cool architecturally

I have'nt compared performance stats recently but the base lines are all pretty high now. Some designers and owners get crazy with the energy performance stuff. I still live in a house with some 200 year old windows left..

Wavy glass looks cool and they don’t make em anymore AFIK.
I often find myself stopping and staring at the "art" cast on the adjacent walls on sunny days, especially this time of year with the low sun angles.

Speaking of sun angles, happy Solstice everyone!

How is the window supply chain currently? I had a customer last year who’s GC ordered the wrong color and took 9 months to get the correct ones in . The Mrs was pissed as they went all summer without AC

Back