Big Tupper Thread

Placid / North Creek no equivalence . Placid has serious Cache and has for darn near a century / Da Crick not so much .

Not saying NC has no pop , but other than skiers and rafters not much draw potential . Great place for peeps like us , but Joe and Jane Sixpack and Muffy and Buffy Chardonnay prolly not so much

All at the ski area - if it ever happens.
Let me know when they spend $19million on anything besides the ski area - like ORDA spent on the Convention Center in the middle of Lake Placid.
Spot on
You mean that convention center next to hotel owned by someone on the orda board? That one?

North Creek gets diddly-squat from NYS. Lake Placid, on the other hand, gets greased with cash.
Wait, what? How about a very well capitalized ski mountain? Seriously? What else are you suggesting? Damn, at a certain point, you leave the free market to the free market. If private capital doesnt want much to do with North Creek, then, take a hint. Nobody wants to go to North Creek, especially in the summer.

What's your problem with lake placid?
Wait, if you say that a place gets “greased with cash”, that means you have a “problem” with that place?

I thought he was making a pretty innocuous statement. If someone said Albany gets “greased with cash”, I wouldn’t say “what’s your problem with Albany?”, I’d just be like: “yep”

very well capitalized ski mountain
I have to agree with Benny on this. You may not agree with how the state spends money in North Creek, but you can't deny it has an impact on economic activity.

Reactions: MC2
Wait, if you say that a place gets “greased with cash”, that means you have a “problem” with that place?

I thought he was making a pretty innocuous statement. If someone said Albany gets “greased with cash”, I wouldn’t say “what’s your problem with Albany?”, I’d just be like: “yep”
Agree
I didn't take what X said as he has an issue with LP.
It just feels like LP gets more love due to the Olympic venues that are right in town.
NC has nothing like that.

Reactions: MC2
Wait, what? How about a very well capitalized ski mountain? Seriously? What else are you suggesting?
In the mid 1980s I saw a UMP that roughly showed the Gore we see today. It has taken 35 years and Gore is still missing some important parts. The first hints of the Gore expansion started in the late 1990s with the pipe into the Hudson River to access water. Why did it take so long? As I have mentioned many times, Gore, an important NYS asset, should be a bigger revenue driver for the North Creek area than it is currently. Gore still only draws about 215K visits per year - roughly the same for 20 years despite the huge expansion. Does anybody care to figure out why? Does anybody ever have to answer for this failure?
Damn, at a certain point, you leave the free market to the free market. If private capital doesnt want much to do with North Creek, then, take a hint. Nobody wants to go to North Creek, especially in the summer.
Did you even read what you wrote? Leave the free market to the free market - so why did the incredibly successful Village of Lake Placid need a $19 million gift for a new convention center from NYS right in the middle of the Village? Why didn't the "free market/private capital" supply the $19 million instead of NYS? I do not think ORDA has spent even a dollar in NC - ever. Maybe if some of that $19 million was spent in North Creek more people would want to go to NC in the winter and the summer.

One of the ORDA mandates is to economically help the areas where the facilities are located. In the almost 40 years that ORDA has operated Gore, North Creek has barely kept its head above water. I do not hate Lake Placid - I happen to love the place. I feel the 40 year administration of ORDA has never wanted to wake up the sleeping giant that sits an hour closer to major population centers and offers a better skiing experience for most skiers vs WF. They fear a more popular Gore would take away visits from Lake Placid. It is a huge conflict of interest.

Back