Belleayre Conditions

I am so glad we have these cool newly wrapped cabins. It’s so cool that they took them off, had spacing issues yesterday, now put them back on and it keeps stopping this morning before it’s open due to spacing. Cabins are visibly spaced differently in the bottom terminal. It’s so great that they put sponsorships before the skiing experience.

IMG_5010.jpeg

I am so glad we have these cool newly wrapped cabins. It’s so cool that they took them off, had spacing issues yesterday, now put them back on and it keeps stopping this morning before it’s open due to spacing. Cabins are visibly spaced differently in the bottom terminal. It’s so great that they put sponsorships before the skiing experience.
View attachment 23345
If that’s what it was for it kinda makes more sense to do it in the nonwintertime.
Who’s the winner?
Winner, winner Legoland dinner.
Appears to be an Un"Official Sponsor".

It's weak that they couldn't do that job without disrupting the gondola on a weekend, but all the snowmaking trails are open and accessible without the gondola now, right? What if they hadn't made any snow all year on the steepest trail, or hadn't built the biggest terrain park for the last 3 years all because of a boarder cross competition? Then you could really complain about being Gore-d by ORDA.

mm

Interesting day on the mountain today. Obviously it was warm, spring like conditions. It probably got up to high 40s / low 50s at one point. Then it rained hard around 3:30.

The snow was soft and forgiving pretty much everywhere. Thin in a few spots but it will probably be ok next week with the 6” snow forecast plus colder temps for snowmaking.

The lifts were moving slowly and stopping frequently. Not sure if this was due to people falling all the time or something else. The mountain wasn’t very crowded but things were slower than usual weekend days.

Run of the day was probably Wannatuska.

It's weak that they couldn't do that job without disrupting the gondola on a weekend, but all the snowmaking trails are open and accessible without the gondola now, right? What if they hadn't made any snow all year on the steepest trail, or hadn't built the biggest terrain park for the last 3 years all because of a boarder cross competition? Then you could really complain about being Gore-d by ORDA.

mm
As much of a failure it would be to skip Rumor, I have a hard time criticizing Gore for bad snowmaking, when Whiteface is run by the same agency. When you expand your snowmaking footprint and sign up for large snowmaking commitments for events, and don't expand your snowmaking capacity, it becomes hard to get to everything.

As much of a failure it would be to skip Rumor, I have a hard time criticizing Gore for bad snowmaking, when Whiteface is run by the same agency. When you expand your snowmaking footprint and sign up for large snowmaking commitments for events, and don't expand your snowmaking capacity, it becomes hard to get to everything.
I don't know what the problems at Whiteface are, but they have nothing to do with Gore. At Gore, apparently ORDA expanded the footprint without actually increasing the capacity. And they're still at it with $$$$$$ for Ski Bowl when it will barely be open before mid-February unless they dramatically increase the volume of snow they can make. Snowmaking has been unusually good at Gore this year, but there hasn't been enough of it.

mm

As for the gondola issues, it will try to evenly space all the cabins no matter how many are on the line. I believe there's a specific setting for it to leave a gap as if a cabin were there. So if that wasn't used, then it's going to try to respace everything. When they cabins were added back, now it has to make room for them, which will also cause a lot of stops when major adjustments need to be made. In both scenarios, it's best to start with an empty haulrope when changing the number of cabins the lift operates with, but Belleayre doesn't have full cabin parking, so it's not a possibility.

It's weak that they couldn't do that job without disrupting the gondola on a weekend, but all the snowmaking trails are open and accessible without the gondola now, right?
Legoland ain’t even open yet.
Maybe have sponsor’s for trail names if they wanna bring in coin.
It’d be less intrusive than putting cartoon caricatures glued to a cabin. Big difference from the historical write-ups on Gore’s.

Appears to be a type of Disneyfication in "The Catskill Park” administered by ORDA.

What’s next?

Belle was super sweet yesterday - pretty much ideal hero March snow. Scratchy and sometimes sketchy, fine but below average snow today, Super Bowl Sunday.

Had an awesome time with the scouts this weekend. My wife even did a simple black which is rare.

I finally realized that lower cathedral has snow guns. Makes me sad. One of my in hindsight favorite memories was years ago when my son fell into one of the brooks and we had to call it a day.

Now the brooks are drained, it’s groomed, and you have to duck for the real cathedral brook.

Still love the place.

Last edited:
Back