Alterra gets a $3 billion infusion

Here's an example of a long time leader who moved on after a purchase by VR. In this case, it didn't happen immediately. VR bought Afton Alps in 2012. Nathan Hakseth moved to Wild Mountain in 2021.

February 7, 2024
"
SAM Magazine—Taylor Falls, Minn., Feb. 7, 2024—Wild Mountain snowsports manager Nathan Hakseth has been promoted to general manager of the Taylor Falls, Minn., ski resort.He will oversee all operations of the mountain and also retain his duties within the Snowsports School and Competitions department.

Hakseth has worked in the ski industry for 27 years, and at Wild Mountain since 2021. Previously, he held several leadership positions at Minnesota’s Afton Alps Resort, where he worked for 15 years.
. . ."

Last edited:
Who knows what the plan is to generate more profit.
Dream mentioned they'll make 110$M profit (Canadian Loonies) selling the basin. Who knows what they paid for it?
Seems commercial RE in Toronto ain’t hitting the high notes lately...
Dream mighta needed an infusion too.

No paper trail maps at Taos. Wtf? They want you to use your phone. Can you see your phone in bright sunlight at 12,000 feet? I can't. Classic corporate bs. Just to save some bucks. No.

No paper trail maps at Taos. Wtf? They want you to use your phone. Can you see your phone in bright sunlight at 12,000 feet? I can't. Classic corporate bs. Just to save some bucks. No.
Better than flat light.
Go find find a red coat, local or ask a liftie.
Don’t get lost. Have fun.
Could be the thin air...

You do know that Alterra doesn't own Taos, right?

I could get trail maps at Vail and Beaver Creek by asking. ;-)

Will they still have free parking?

Ya may also get free parking on I70 on a pow day for the foreseeable future.
Not on dang weekend$...gotta make a reservation too.
Said it wasn’t due to the purchase by Alterra. Of course not... 🤔
There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited:
So I complained in an email to Taos CS about no paper trail maps, and they told me that it was done to save the environment. Which I find humorous. A ski mountain concerned with the environment. Let's start with that big parking lot over there...

Interestingly Steamboat had paper maps, and they are owned by Alterra.

I like the option of paper and the app that shows you right where you are. I used both paper and the app maps about equally while we explored Steamboat.

I didn't mind not having the paper map this year in Taos, as the app map was fine.

Yeah, this seems to be a Taos decision.

Edit: I sort of know where I'm going, but we had a party of four that week, different abilities and sleep and endurance levels, so a lot of splitting off and joining back. Two had never really skied there. It would have been really handy to have a paper map, but, if not, put up a lot more trail map signs everywhere, not just one or two by a few lifts.

The environmental excuse is a hoot. It's like people bringing their nice reusable bags into the supermarket, only to fill them up with many items wrapped in hard and soft plastic.

Last edited:
Back