Alterra gets a $3 billion infusion

As soon as I heard this news I thought of you Benny.
Was my "home" mountain for three seasons.

All the money in the world can't fix their parking problem. Well, a little, but a huge garage that would accommodate big SUVs with boxes would be quite the eyesore, and lord knows where they would put it.

All the money in the world can't fix their parking problem. Well, a little, but a huge garage that would accommodate big SUVs with boxes would be quite the eyesore, and lord knows where they would put it.
Will they still have free parking?

Ya may also get free parking on I70 on a pow day for the foreseeable future.

Saturday morning up and Sunday evening down have been ridiculous for a few decades now.. It's a recreational suburb of the Front Range, which grows like a weed all the time. Bye bye.

The Vail Resorts business model is to own everything at their resorts.
Alterra has been moving beyond owning ski resorts for a while.
The top dog now at A$penware worked at Vail when the Epic pass came out.
The CEO at KSL was treasurer of Vail and went on to become VP of Strategic Planning & Investor Relations. https://www.kslcapital.com/our-team/eric-resnick

Went to Cornell. :)
Phi Beta Kappa in Maths to boot.
He knew Vail's books me thinks.
Probably skied Greek as a student.
Maybe they’ll get some more billion$ and buyout Vail Resorts Inc.
MTN market cap now $8.40B.

Last edited:
Some discussion of the mechanics of a private equity continuation vehicle here for those interested, Storm Skiing interview with Alterra CEO: https://www.stormskiing.com/p/alterra-ceo-smith-ksls-3b-not-new

fwiw, CEO says the A-basin purchase was "completely unrelated' to funding vehicle
Stu’s link was put up earlier in ABasin conditions but without the quote.
It fits here too.
How dissimilar are both mega pass outfits?
It appears they have different corporate structure but some of the same players & direct to consumer( ⛷️🏂 ) strategies...

How dissimilar are both mega pass outfits?
It appears they have different corporate structure but some of the same players & direct to consumer( ⛷️🏂 ) strategies...
Well, here's my take on the question.

From a consumer standpoint, there are certainly similarities. But from an operational management standpoint, Vail Resorts and Alterra function very differently. That's also reflected in how the Epic and Ikon passes are set up.

VR owns every resort on Epic except Telluride. VR does everything in-house, including software development and how their RFID system works. That's all proprietary. If a VR GM wants to buy a large piece of equipment, the choice of manufacturer is limited. When VR buys a resort, or set of resorts, there is often a fair amount of change in senior staff and managers.

Alterra has partnered with other companies from the start. The most obvious partnerships are with the Ikon Partners that are independently owned such as Jackson Hole, Alta, or Taos. Other key Ikon Partners are owned/operated by the other well known multi-resort companies: Boyne Resorts and Powdr. In recent years, Alterra has acquired companies that support the ski industry such as Aspenware. Aspenware provides software to ski resorts, regardless of ownership. Alterra resorts operate differently from each other. When Alterra buys a resort, people in leadership positions are usually asked to stay.

Going to Snowshoe or Solitude or Winter Park, someone who doesn't know they are owned by Alterra would be unlikely to guess those resorts had the same owner. Nor do most customers care. When I went to Mt. Brighton (little hill near Detroit), even though it felt different from Vail and Beaver Creek, the signage made it clear that it's part of the Epic "family" of resorts. The pictures on the wall outside the ski shop even included Perisher in Australia, along with big resorts in N. America.

This is the first time I've had an Epic Pass. I've been going to Ikon resorts for years, both those currently owned by Alterra and Ikon Partners. The difference is noticeable to me.

When listening to Storm Skiing podcasts with GMs for VR resorts and Alterra resorts, the differences in management style come through clearly to me. Same for interviews with VR or Alterra executives.

Last edited:
Well, here's my take on the question.

From a consumer standpoint, there are certainly similarities. But from an operational management standpoint, Vail Resorts and Alterra function very differently. That's also reflected in how the Epic and Ikon passes are set up.

VR owns every resort on Epic except Telluride. VR does everything in-house, including software development and how their RFID system works. That's all proprietary. If a VR GM wants to buy a large piece of equipment, the choice of manufacturer is limited. When VR buys a resort, or set of resorts, there is often a fair amount of change in senior staff and managers.

Alterra has partnered with other companies from the start. The most obvious partnerships are with the Ikon Partners that are independently owned such as Jackson Hole, Alta, or Taos. Other key Ikon Partners are owned/operated by the other well known multi-resort companies: Boyne Resorts and Powdr. In recent years, Alterra has acquired companies that support the ski industry such as Aspenware. Aspenware provides software to ski resorts, regardless of ownership. Alterra resorts operate differently from each other. When Alterra buys a resort, people in leadership positions are usually asked to stay.

Going to Snowshoe or Solitude or Winter Park, someone who doesn't know they are owned by Alterra would be unlikely to guess those resorts had the same owner. Nor do most customers care. When I went to Mt. Brighton (little hill near Detroit), even though it felt different from Vail and Beaver Creek, the signage made it clear that it's part of the Epic "family" of resorts. The pictures on the wall outside the ski shop even included Perisher in Australia, along with big resorts in N. America.

This is the first time I've had an Epic Pass. I've been going to Ikon resorts for years, both those currently owned by Alterra and Ikon Partners. The difference is noticeable to me.

When listening to Storm Skiing podcasts with GMs for VR resorts and Alterra resorts, the differences in management style come through clearly to me. Same for interviews with VR or Alterra executives.
Nice summary. For sure I also noticed the difference when listening to Storm Skiing podcasts. Vail definitely has a cookie cutter approach. You hear a lot of the same buzz words and philosophy from person to person. Whereas the Ikon mountain leaders seem to come off as more independent thinkers and leaders.

Back