Alterra gets a $3 billion infusion

Maintains helicopters. Between CMH’s 11 locations and Mike Wiegele, Alterra operates a bunch of helicopters.
Thanks!

The Vail Resorts business model is to own everything at their resorts. I remember when they re-branded the Colorado Express after buying it to serve folks flying into the Denver airport. But can't think of any other VR subsidiary that serves the ski industry in general.

With Aspenware, Ski Butlers, and Alpine Aerotech, that means Alterra is in better control of important services for their own resorts but also serves customers who ski other destination resorts or shell out big bucks for heli skiing. The Ikon Partners means Ikon is much stronger than it would be with just Alterra resorts, with less risk during low snow seasons for multiple regions.

Last edited:
The Aspenware website makes it clear that it's not limited to destination resorts in the Rockies. Nor is it limited to winter activities. Summer activities such as mountain biking can be handled as well. There are resorts mentioned that are Canada and Australia (Mt. Buller), as well as smaller resorts in New England (Bretton Woods). The featured resorts are Homewood, Snowbird (Powdr), Jackson Hole, Arapahoe Basin, Killington, and Silver Star (Canada). Apparently Boyne Resorts also uses Aspenware.

Alterra acquired Aspenware in 2022. The press release noted that Aspenware was used by 50 resorts.

Vail Resorts started doing in-house programming back for the Epic pass and EpicMix (now defunct), which were introduced in 2008.

Last edited:
So they bought A basin. F***. I'm glad I got my days in there, because that place was the only reason I would ever go back to Summit.

So they bought A basin. F***. I'm glad I got my days in there, because that place was the only reason I would ever go back to Summit.
Only ever played 18 at Copper in July and skied Arapahoe once in June on different trips flying in to Denver.
If I’m gonna fly to ski it’d be to The Alps for an extended voyage...

Yup. Europe is just more attractive year by year.

I'll never forget the first day I skied Abasin in my first year of skiing. After I took a beginners week at Killington, my buddy said, ok, you know how to ski, you're coming to Summit with us in March. (I diluted the condo cost by sleeping on the couch). That view of the East Wall from the base quad as it suddenly appears was the same kind of wow moment I got most of my life when I first saw the Manhattan skyline driving from Jersey. Well, the rich have screwed up that skyline with their ugly towers, and they'll probably do their best to screw up Abasin. On to the Dolomites! They can't mess with that.

As soon as I heard this news I thought of you Benny.

Well, the rich have screwed up that skyline with their ugly towers, and they'll probably do their best to screw up Abasin. On to the Dolomites! They can't mess with that.
Folks take helicopters from Paris to the top of St. Moritz, so there’s that.

Back