The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

Are the Quebec fires out? the air quality is clean up-and-down the East Coast and I don't see any indication of fire South of Hudson bay. What's going on?

Are the Quebec fires out? the air quality is clean up-and-down the East Coast and I don't see any indication of fire South of Hudson bay. What's going on?
It must’ve rained. Fire and smoke map shows there’s only fires outwest now.

Louisiana has a ton of human causes “wild” fires right now.

Buckle up them ski boots everyone, we are just starting to warm up into climate change. *pun intended

Sad news. A fire has destroyed the ski town of Jasper, Alberta. There is no information at this time on whether the adjacent Marmot Basin ski area was directly impacted, but regardless the destruction of the town of Jasper will be a significant barrier to operating this winter.

Too bad as I was really hoping to make it up there this winter! My thoughts are with all those impacted.

Sad news. A fire has destroyed the ski town of Jasper, Alberta. There is no information at this time on whether the adjacent Marmot Basin ski area was directly impacted, but regardless the destruction of the town of Jasper will be a significant barrier to operating this winter.

Too bad as I was really hoping to make it up there this winter! My thoughts are with all those impacted.

The fire in Jasper is devasating. Latest reports are that perhaps 50% of the structures in the historic town are destroyed. One of my friends from school days was general manager of the well-known Maligne Lodge for many years, it has been completely vapourized. He retired last year but has to be overwhelmed from that and the potential loss of his home nearby. He was evacuated to Kamloops, not sure where he is now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...ast-moving-flame-says-fire-official-1.7274825

Last edited:
St. Johnsbury VT and the surrounding area received 8 inches of rain yesterday, and more today.

There's growing evidence that Vermont will continue to suffer catastrophic flooding, permanently, due to the increase in the amount of water that falls from the sky, and the topography of VT and the streams and rivers the run through it.

Yes, Montpelier essentially floated away. One of the biggest challenges Vermont faces in regard to increasing precipitation and flooding is the states development patterns. Nearly all large towns and a majority of the population outside of the Champlain Valley are located in deep river valleys so when those rivers do rise, the human and infrastructure impacts are devastating. This is not a new issue for the state, read up on the 1927 flood and its impacts. I am not saying this to dismiss the realities of a changing climate but, Vermont is especially prone to the impacts of flooding due to where its towns and major infrastructure exist.

vt-27-2.jpg

Back