The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

Numbers in the 700s today in Quebec.
Way up in Radisson Quebec it’s over a dang thousand.
1687785770999.png

Radisson is where Hydro Quebec houses dam workers.
Water, water everywhere with smoke so thick ya can cut it.

Last edited:
Some excellent photos in this blog post:

Who's got an AQI number in mind to determine whether or not to go out to exercise?

I'm definitely not exercising above 100, and not thinking twice about anything below 50, but wondering where to cut off.

We are at 100 right now, and smelling the air outside I am staying put.

I just rode 30 mins at AQI 80. Too much, for me.

Will try 65 next.

I just rode 30 mins at AQI 80. Too much, for me.

Will try 65 next.
Every individual is different when it comes to sensitivity to smog/smoke/pollen.

The AQI got up to about 120 the other day near my house in central NC. Could easily see that things looked different than usual. I was out in doing yard work for several hours. Didn't make much difference as far as I could tell. The heat and humidity was more of a factor in how I felt.

I walked 18 holes in 140 on Thursday and mountain biked in 120 yesterday. This ^^ was my experience too.
Yup. 18 walked both Wednesday & Friday. Had ta play without glasses Wednesday due to the mist. Coulda been a contender.
On Friday went with a “sports” drink instead of the usual cold one at the turn though.

Yup. 18 walked both Wednesday & Friday. Had ta play without glasses Wednesday due to the mist. Coulda been a contender.
On Friday went with a “sports” drink instead of the usual cold one at the turn though.
On Friday, I ran 2.5 hours on Wildcat Ridge. Don't remember what the AQI was, but I decided that was enough.

Today was 72, my full ride and it was much better than yesterday's 80.

I have a theory:

When AQI is improving, the woods take longer to clear up, as the trees inhibit air circulation and wind. While it was "80" last night maybe it was more in the woods.

Back