The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

Yes, Montpelier essentially floated away. One of the biggest challenges Vermont faces in regard to increasing precipitation and flooding is the states development patterns. Nearly all large towns and a majority of the population outside of the Champlain Valley are located in deep river valleys so when those rivers do rise, the human and infrastructure impacts are devastating. This is not a new issue for the state, read up on the 1927 flood and its impacts. I am not saying this to dismiss the realities of a changing climate but, Vermont is especially prone to the impacts of flooding due to where its towns and major infrastructure exist.

View attachment 25350
Interesting about Vermont. I didn't quite understand why Vermont might be more susceptible than other locations but that makes sense now.

Nearly all large towns and a majority of the population outside of the Champlain Valley are located in deep river valleys
More evidence that natural disasters are actually manmade disasters.

Is it because the mountains cause uplift that squeezes out more rain? Can we get a few of those here in Jersey?

...there's a reason that the green mountain spine gets more snow, I assume its the same with rain too

Potential for more major flooding for Upstate and Vt ...This could be a serious situation...

1722953370658.gif

Back