Building a House with Wood

same...homegrown camping adventure lol

gets old after a few days though.

Rando question: did you look into solar? I think it is hard upstate because of snow coverage. In a cold winter I have the panels covered for maybe 2 weeks. It also can be difficult to have installer coverage and/or town support.

Are you psyched? Seems like a grand summer!

We have one roof that is theoretically appropriate for solar. It is on the garage. House roof faces Northwest and Northeast. That is so the big gable windows face (roughly) south. Having big windows, facing south, with a big overhang, is a form of solar.

Half of the garage roof faces south/southeast and is reasonably clear of trees blocking it. I'm sure to be ideal more trees would have to be cut. Some, but not all, of those trees are slated to be cut for view reasons anyway.

Here's the south facing gable, from two weeks ago with the overhang, my passive solar:

passive solar

Generally I'm afflicted with something I call longterm thinking disease. Essentially I hate redoing things because I didn't consider the "long run." For example, this house will be connected to a septic field that was built 20 years ago, large enough for a three bedroom house. Back then, I built that septic field "just in case" this house ever got built. The guy who did the work thought I was insane to spend that money for a place I used 30x a year. Lo and behold, in this case, that investment is paying off.

I digress. The garage roof that is ok for solar, I COULD have built it with panels, but I'm anxious about having enough money to finish the project. I should be ok, but I am really sensitive about having an awesome garage, and big bucks in a house that I can't afford to finish. That feels like a colossal fuckup that I would never forgive. So I put the regular metal roof on. I'll certainly be curious to live there to see how much sun that side of the roof actual gets. It's a pretty steep roof so it should shed snow.

Wise man, Harv.

When my parents built their house my dad had a whole house generator installed. When he loses power all he does is through a switch on the panel (in the basement on the box) and the whole house lights up. When needed it's worth it's weight in gold.

My mom has a natural gas Generac whole house genny and it is awesome. It detects outages and turns itself on. She doesn't even know when it goes on. In some big storm a few years it ran for four days. It's quiet too.

Almost no progress the last ten days. Probably at least in part my fault. I'd said my top priority was getting the metal roof on and when it is really hot that's not happening. Also two storms have created a lot of havoc and damage for other clients. I believe I haven't suffered any damage. 🤞

It's cool for an hour or so.

I HATE losing a freezer full of venison. It's only happened once, but man I was upset. We put in a bunch of work, not to mention taking an animal only to have it go to waste. Ugh.

One of our local ice cream places sells dry ice. Maybe an option for worse case scenario?
I keep my fridge at 37° and in 4 hrs it’s 50° without power. Keeping some jugs of water helps but only for so long.

With inflation I probably have over $200.00 worth between the frozen stuff too.

We have one roof that is theoretically appropriate for solar. It is on the garage. House roof faces Northwest and Northeast. That is so the big gable windows face (roughly) south. Having big windows, facing south, with a big overhang, is a form of solar.

Half of the garage roof faces south/southeast and is reasonably clear of trees blocking it. I'm sure to be ideal more trees would have to be cut. Some, but not all, of those trees are slated to be cut for view reasons anyway.

Here's the south facing gable, from two weeks ago with the overhang, my passive solar:

View attachment 25292

Generally I'm afflicted with something I call longterm thinking disease. Essentially I hate redoing things because I didn't consider the "long run." For example, this house will be connected to a septic field that was built 20 years ago, large enough for a three bedroom house. Back then, I built that septic field "just in case" this house ever got built. The guy who did the work thought I was insane to spend that money for a place I used 30x a year. Lo and behold, in this case, that investment is paying off.

I digress. The garage roof that is ok for solar, I COULD have built it with panels, but I'm anxious about having enough money to finish the project. I should be ok, but I am really sensitive about having an awesome garage, and big bucks in a house that I can't afford to finish. That feels like a colossal fuckup that I would never forgive. So I put the regular metal roof on. I'll certainly be curious to live there to see how much sun that side of the roof actual gets. It's a pretty steep roof so it should shed snow.

My mom has a natural gas Generac whole house genny and it is awesome. It detects outages and turns itself on. She doesn't even know when it goes on. In some big storm a few years it ran for four days. It's quiet too.

Almost no progress the last ten days. Probably at least in part my fault. I'd said my top priority was getting the metal roof on and when it is really hot that's not happening. Also two storms have created a lot of havoc and damage for other clients. I believe I haven't suffered any damage. 🤞
You have land - you could put solar elsewhere on the ground and not be involved with your garage roof.

You have land - you could put solar elsewhere on the ground and not be involved with your garage roof.
Maybe illogical, I'm just not interested in that approach.

I was hoping the Tesla roof shingles/tiles would be more available and affordable by now, I have beed deferring replacing a south facing slate portion of my roof but it cant wait anymore...

I was hoping the Tesla roof shingles/tiles would be more available and affordable by now, I have beed deferring replacing a south facing slate portion of my roof but it cant wait anymore...
It is still obscenely expensive.
"The Tesla solar roof can cost more than $8 per watt, based on the MarketWatch Guides team’s research, so you could pay over $64,000 for an 8 kilowatt (kW) roof system. For comparison, traditional solar panels cost an average of $2.85 per watt or $22,800 for an 8 kW system."
There is more to it than a sinlge number, but it is a big difference vs the panels.

Back