Building a House with Wood

ERV or HRV?

People are doing both open and closed cell here. Open significantly cheaper.

Yes Zip and yes there is a blower test in my future.
So you build the whole house and then you have to test and maybe retro ad an ERV?
HRV for me. I'm in a semi-arid zone so humidity is not in my house at any time of year really. You might want an ERV if you find winter humidity is too low for your liking.

Primarily reason for either is airflow. Modern houses don't leak in enough new air to breathe.

"Don't lose sleep over which one to get, just get one":
https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2276/choosing-between-an-hrv-and-an-erv/

HRV for me. I'm in a semi-arid zone so humidity is not in my house at any time of year really. You might want an ERV if you find winter humidity is too low for your liking.

Primarily reason for either is airflow. Modern houses don't leak in enough new air to breathe.

"Don't lose sleep over which one to get, just get one":
https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2276/choosing-between-an-hrv-and-an-erv/
I'm told we are erv country.

Do you have a lot of ducts for yours? You have to retro fit?

I'm told we are erv country.

Do you have a lot of ducts for yours? You have to retro fit?
Single roof vent system and fan ducted into the 2nd floor laundry room is it. 2400 finished Sq foot home with 1000 Sq ft unfinished basement. It's an open floor plan so 1st and 2nd floors are well connected airflow wise.

Single roof vent system and fan ducted into the 2nd floor laundry room is it. 2400 finished Sq foot home with 1000 Sq ft unfinished basement. It's an open floor plan so 1st and 2nd floors are well connected airflow wise.
This sounds vert much like our house. I'd like to understand your system better.

I'd like to understand your system better.
Interesting thing is that it is something I basically never ever think about. It simply sits there and does its thing. I'm sure the fan will eventually die at some point, but (crosses fingers) 13 years non-stop so far.

I'll answer any Q's you have if I can. Also remember my home is tyvek on OSB, BUT fully foam insulated walls and roof. One potential difference might be that the literal roof has the foam insulation on it, so the attic is technically temperature conditioned space...

Apparently they decide if you need an ERV after your blower test when walls are fully enclosed.

If you have to make changes it's expensive.

I was curious about how much ducting you have. I think you explained it above, I just couldn't visualize it.

Apparently they decide if you need an ERV after your blower test when walls are fully enclosed.

I was curious about how much ducting you have. I think you explained it above, I just couldn't visualize it.
Watch Bob Villa, that guy does everything properly. He will show you how foam should be installed. It's pretty interesting.

A bit goofy way to do it.

I do know that if you go with 100% spray foam for the whole home there is no way you wouldn't need one so they just plan for; and then install it at the right time in the build.

I do know that if you go with 100% spray foam for the whole home there is no way you wouldn't need one so they just plan for; and then install it at the right time in the build.
I've been coming to this thinking. It's going to cost me and I'm already over budget but I feel like I have no choice.

I hope it's not too late. I've got framing sheathing, electric and plumbing. No HVAC yet.

Watch Bob Villa, that guy does everything properly. He will show you how foam should be installed. It's pretty interesting.
I spoke to my builder, it sounded to me like the sub on this is good.

I will look for Bob.

Back