Building a House with Wood

That's rain day work until it gets cold.
I told the boss today, if you get that roof on, I'll not utter another word, on the 'order of operations.'

He chuckled. I think he was skeptical about the voracity of my promise. 🤠

There is some kind of ice and water shield (?) that goes on next.

I kind of fought with the 'designer' over those top windows.

They were originally 6 fixed glass windows. I REALLY wanted something to open up there. I don't like the idea trapped of heat. He kept saying, 'all you need is a ceiling fan.'

I convinced (forced) him to add two awning windows at the top. They are kinda fancy, they operate on an electric motor, and have a feature that automatically closes them if it rains. (I guess we'll see how long before they break.)

gable

I kind of fought with the 'designer' over those top windows.

They were originally 6 fixed glass windows. I REALLY wanted something to open up there. I don't like the idea trapped of heat. He kept saying, 'all you need is a ceiling fan.'

I convinced (forced) him to add two awning windows at the top. They are kinda fancy, they operate on an electric motor, and have a feature that automatically closes them if it rains. (I guess we'll see how long before they break.)

View attachment 25194

My house has a similar design except for the upper windows are trapezoids . My house faces east and the living room cooks in the morning. If I was doing it over I would do what you have and have hard wired shades.
I have a ceiling fan that runs pretty much all summer. My wife has allergies so opening windows is not an option.
There’s a house like mine a mile away, they’ve dealt with the issue by running a stainless cable from the roof peak and making custom shade cloth “ Jib sails “ on both sides. Kinda takes away from the view.

Having operable windows up top will work great for pulling the warm air out for sure.

If I was doing it over I would do what you have and have hard wired shades.
What are hard wired shades? I like the sound of that.

Having operable windows up top will work great for pulling the warm air out for sure.
The Anderson 400 awnings are somewhat unique in that they open to a full 90 degrees.

Thanks for all the input in this thread. Very helpful!

What are hard wired shades? I like the sound of that.

The Anderson 400 awnings are somewhat unique in that they open to a full 90 degrees.

Thanks for all the input in this thread. Very helpful!

I have a motorized shade in my bathroom although it’s powered by 8 AA batteries which fit in a compact sleeve that’s hidden.
It’s a pain every few months to replace batteries.

The wide outage from Minerva to North Creek is back online. Looks like there are additional outages in North River, Thurman and Garnet Lake.

I like getting the texts.

View attachment 25291
harv, i guess this belongs in the house thread..are you installing a generator ?

That is the plan. Propane.
Rando question: did you look into solar? I think it is hard upstate because of snow coverage. In a cold winter I have the panels covered for maybe 2 weeks. It also can be difficult to have installer coverage and/or town support.

Are you psyched? Seems like a grand summer!

Back