Building a House with Wood

There is (almost) no bad weather! I can't wait to be hunkered down in the first snow storm.

The overhangs are done and the zip system is on before this weekend's rain so I'm pretty happy about that.

Looks like the front overhang will be pretty strong.

front overhang

Zip roof is not a perfect seal but it dramatically cuts down on the amount of water that falls on untreated lumber.

harv, why will it take to next spring to complete?
I would imagine roughing of plumbing, electric and duct work should be finished by sept..
looks like a amazing house by the way

I've never done this before, so I don't know the answer. I have learned that my builder is on top of those things. Before he told me 'next spring', I was pushing for end of this year, and I could tell he was never comfortable with that timeframe. Sooner would be better for me because I am paying for this with a HELOC and the interest ain't cheap.

I went with my builder because I have known him for ten years. He took over the plowing of my driveway when my man Roger passed. I really trust him. I believe in his honesty and integrity. He believes his most valuable asset is his reputation. I don't know how you could build a house from 300 miles away without that kind of trust. That said his company is small, and jobs likely take longer.

Thanks for the props on the way it looks. I don't really think of it as amazing, to me it's the most basic possible design for 2000 sq ft. The design is actually "the same" as the cabin, with a floor to ceiling upfront, and two stories in the back.

I tried to make it simple (rooflines especially), with a big window facing the view. There's no view yet but give me some time! 🪚

Thanks for all the pictures as the house construction continues!

I went with my builder because I have known him for ten years. He took over the plowing of my driveway when Roger passed. I really trust him. I believe in his honesty and integrity. He believes his most valuable asset is his reputation. I don't know how you could build a house from 300 miles away without that trust. That said his company is small, and jobs likely take longer.
My friends who had a house built in Lake Placid were working with a builder that was well known and the company was essentially him and his son. They used quality sub-contractors, who were also small local companies with busy schedules. I don't remember how long the entire process took, but it was well over a year even after actual construction started. The design and permitting process took a LONG time. Towards the end, there was a delay of several months when the father got sick. It's not a huge house and it's in the town limits. Quite unique.

Building a new building on the North Country School campus in the last decade or two has always taken more than a year. The window of opportunity based on weather is limited. The number of contractors available for good work has always been limited in the area.

Thanks for all the pictures
Feels a little like oversharing, but I'll always know where the pictures are.

One thing about the small company. Last time I was up on a weekday, I basically stayed to meet the crew. I thought, maybe if they put a face with the owner, it could help. They seemed like great guys to me.

AA, my guy, pulled me aside and said "you're feeding six local families right now, and I know for a fact that they appreciate it."

That choked me up.

I would imagine roughing of plumbing,electric and duct work should be finished by sept..
looks like a amazing house by the way
That's rain day work until it gets cold. Seems they close a few in so they have work all winter. Looking solid.

Back