Who's got the best cell coverage in the mountains?

Verizon definitely has the widest (4G) network nationwide and in the east.

But if you have no signal in your home town, it doesn't matter. You buy the network that works for you most of the time.

For me, Verizon is excellent, except at our cabin, near North Creek.
Get a network extender from Verizon for the cabin.

We now have Fios and wifi calling which would be all we need except for some reason we've now fried 3 routers.

How much does the extender cost? Is it guaranteed to work?

I have had T-Mobile for the past 3-4 years after several years on Verizon. Both seem to work fine at Gore and in the Catskills. Verizon works at Whiteface. Last season, I could occasionally get service at Whiteface on T-Mobile after several years of nothing. I have less recent experience in Vermont, but it seems clear that Verizon has the better rural service.

it seems clear that Verizon has the better rural service.
Like I said, if it doesn't work at your house (and your mountain) it's probably not better, for you.

Hoping Verizon will up their game in Johnsburg so I can stay on Verizon. They are much better in the other places I go.

We now have Fios and wifi calling which would be all we need except for some reason we've now fried 3 routers.

How much does the extender cost? Is it guaranteed to work?
My house in the middle of Bergen County (pop 935k) has 1 bar service from both Verizon and ATT. My neighbor with T-mobile is in the same boat. I complained to Verizon and the eventually sent a LTE Network Extender. It works around my house by about 100 feet.

Will it work if you have no bars? Will they put one in for only one customer?

except for some reason we've now fried 3 routers.

My father called it low voltage. Better known as a brownout. We used to get them on a pretty regular basis up there about 10 years ago during the summers. Not nearly as frequent now but still happens. Actually worse than a blackout because the lower voltage can damage certain components. There is a device that helps. Best to google it for a better explanation than I can provide.

Thanks for his info, very helpful.

We were going to buy a surge protector.

I'll see what we can do about it. I guess we can unplug them every time when we leave.

Back