Whiteface Conditions

I’m guessing not until the day after thanksgiving. I don’t think they will open earlier unless there is a good storm, which is not in the forecast. Same for Gore.

mm

Belleayre is making snow so I assume Gore and Whiteface are too. They always open early if given the chance, so that could be as early as next weekend.

Based on the front page of the website, they're working on the summit. However, the webcam shows that they are not working below mid at this time.

Saw on the WF website there's a new trail Yellow Dot...cutover from Victoria to Lower Sky. Anyone know what that's about or maybe have a pic, I'm curious where this may be

"This summers’ upgrades also included a lot of trailwork and the addition of TWO NEW TRAILS, Ausable Run which sits on skiers right of Wolf Run and Yellow Dot, which cuts from the top of Victoria to Lower Skyward. Our crew also expanded the width on Lower Thruway and began some of the first cuts for the new detachable lift line. This lift is proposed for installation in the summer of 2023. Not many lift improvements were needed this summer thanks to the vast improvements from the last few seasons, but both Lookout and Freeway did receive new upper bullwheel bearings and Freeway also received electrical upgrades, a new drive and a new transformer."

Saw on the WF website there's a new trail Yellow Dot...cutover from Victoria to Lower Sky. Anyone know what that's about or maybe have a pic, I'm curious where this may be
As Zappa sang, "Watch out where the huskies go".

"This summers’ upgrades also included a lot of trailwork and the addition of TWO NEW TRAILS, Ausable Run which sits on skiers right of Wolf Run and Yellow Dot, which cuts from the top of Victoria to Lower Skyward. Our crew also expanded the width on Lower Thruway and began some of the first cuts for the new detachable lift line. This lift is proposed for installation in the summer of 2023. Not many lift improvements were needed this summer thanks to the vast improvements from the last few seasons, but both Lookout and Freeway did receive new upper bullwheel bearings and Freeway also received electrical upgrades, a new drive and a new transformer."
You had to have skied it. It's been there for as long as I can remember.

Yellow Dot was the narrow trail that cut through the woods on the top of Victoria and opened up onto Lower Skyward. It dropped you out right under the lift, a little uphill of Blazer's Bluff. They made that into an actual trail, to give people who mistakenly get to the top of Victoria an alternate way down using Lower Skyward, which has a lot less pitch. It will be interesting to see how they ran this new trail through those woods.

Oddly enough, I never noticed it. I have used the unmarked trail that goes from Skyward to Cloudspin though.

I like how they now open the summit so early. I was in college when I was a passholder, so I'd go back downstate for winter break in mid-December, and it never once opened before then. Not only does it allow the entire vertical to be used much earlier, but it fixes two major, glaring flaws in their previous terrain rollout. When they would open Excelsior first, followed by Essex to Northway, followed by Victoria, they'd get multiple upper mountain trails open, but only one route to the base, leading to trail crowding. You also couldn't avoid the bottom if conditions were better up high. It also left the gondola as the only lift people wanted to ride, leading to longer lines than other resorts have early in the season. I'm not sure whether it's better snowmaking, or simply rethinking how they did things. Old habits die hard they say.

Yellow Dot was the narrow trail that cut through the woods on the top of Victoria and opened up onto Lower Skyward. It dropped you out right under the lift, a little uphill of Blazer's Bluff. They made that into an actual trail, to give people who mistakenly get to the top of Victoria an alternate way down using Lower Skyward, which has a lot less pitch. It will be interesting to see how they ran this new trail through those woods.
Oh that! Yeh been thru that many times. Interesting it’s going to be a trail now. From the sound of things, I guess they cut some trees and widened it? The way it was before usually ended with a free edge deburring upon exit on the snowmaking pipe...

Back