Whiteface Conditions

I get day tickets being up. I accept that. But that kind of $$ for an extremely limited window to get one run? Too far, IMHO. But, as we know....opinions are like assholes!

I think the real message here is that they don't what uphill skiers, but they don't have the clout to outright ban them. So they just raise the price until they all go way. I think they are doing the same thing by requiring avy gear on the Slides. Locals will still do all that stuff, but the tourists will quit.

mm

Ouch! That’s terrible. If I recall correctly it only used to be like $25. That’s total bs, $129. I’ve gotten an uphill pass several years. Not this time...talk about gouging!
I heard that ORDA had proposed a big increase for XC passes at Van Ho then got a lot of heat and backed off. Maybe they will do the same here but given the relatively low # of uphill skiers it doesn't seem likely.

Paging @Peter Minde he posted about it here, somewhere.

Paging @Peter Minde he posted about it here, somewhere.
Van Ho individual season passes weren't originally $325 this year. After a public outcry, reduced to to $225, and they generally restructured their season pass pricing. I think it's much more sensible.

I went over to the mountain to get a few early runs in. I wasn't planning to spend the whole day ... just get in 3, maybe 4 runs, and call it a day.

Unfortunately, the gondola was on a delayed opening. I heard two stories regarding the reason, but from what I could tell, the more likely reason was that they had a snow cat coming down from Paron's Run, and didn't want to have skiing traffic on the hill while the cat was coming down. Why would a snow cat be coming down from Paron's Run? Because they started making snow up there this morning!!! From what I could see from the top of the gondola (once it opened), they had guns going on most of the upper section of Paron's, and a couple of guns going on the lower section.

They're also making snow on Easy Street and from what it looked like, the last pitch of Draper's Drop (they're probably trying to get that set up so that the racers can cut over to it from Tomcat and run some gates ... that's just my guess).

There were a handful of other guns going in other locations, but overall, not looking like a really "strong" effort to expand terrain quickly. It looks like they're just going to try to get a few more trails open, here and there, as they can. They were planning to have Bear Den and the new Falcon Quad open today, but as of this morning, it didn't look like that was going to happen.

Other than that ... it was a beautiful (maybe a little cold) blue bird morning. Conditions were firm packed powder.

Back