Whiteface Conditions

According to Google AI -> "The 2024 Paris Winter Olympics are estimated to have 15 million visitors"
It’s Paris Summer Olympics in ’24.
The Paris metro area has over 11 million folks, so there’s that.
The breakdancing competitions will pack in the crowds even if the Seine is too funky for swimming.

Last edited:
They’re still making snowmaking & lift capital upgrades to all 3 areas.
The difference is that for Gore and Belleayre, they can simply make upgrades for the sake of improving the ski experience. Whiteface can only justify it by their unrealistic goal of holding another Olympics. It's a distraction.

The difference is that for Gore and Belleayre, they can simply make upgrades for the sake of improving the ski experience. Whiteface can only justify it by their unrealistic goal of holding another Olympics. It's a distraction.
That's just silly. Whiteface has been upgrading the mountain for the past 20 years... And not for the Olympics.

Update on the reservoir:

I didn't know this before:
" . . .
Whiteface is the only downhill facility managed by the ORDA lacking a reservoir, Walden said, and, as a result, Belleayre, in the Catskills, and Gore, near North Creek, enjoy consistent water supply.
. . ."

What I got from that article is that they’re been thinking about a reservoir since 1996 and now they have to wait for another UMP before they do anything else.
When will the next UMP process start? Is there a fast track amendment process? Will Whiteface get a zippy coaster?

mm

Look at ORDA flashing decades of top-notch decision making abilities once again.

Let's see - 1996 UMP WF reservoir mention was only 28 years ago. A short 8 years later in 2004, and, right on schedule, they found a potential location for the reservoir, but nothing happened. What a surprise. Now they have to redo the plans again. No money waste there!!!

Reservoirs can be expensive, although, ORDA did have enough money to open a $17,000,000 convention center in the middle of Lake Placid Village right next door to the Lussi's Crowne Plaza in 2011. I was always confused by the convention center because I am pretty sure that it is not a winter (or any) season sports venue. Luckily, the $17million convention center does not need snowmaking.

Maybe if ORDA actually added the WF reservoir in 2011 they would not be fielding so many complaints about the conditions on the trails at Whiteface. Also, they might have not had to spend so much money trying to make the snowmaking work with an erratic water supply.

What I got from that article is that they’re been thinking about a reservoir since 1996 and now they have to wait for another UMP before they do anything else.
When will the next UMP process start? Is there a fast track amendment process? Will Whiteface get a zippy coaster?

mm
The zip coaster is already at the ski jumps. It was originally slated to go on Little Whiteface, but just as with Gore, the UMP only allows towers for skiing and biking, no zip coasters (yes, totally stupid). So they put it at the ski jumps because that land is owned by the town of North Elba, and that is why the new lift going in at the Ski Bowl will be entirely on town land as will the zip coaster towers. (If you're looking up the lift line at the Ski Bowl, the new lift will be skewed to about one o'clock from the old lift as that will keep the new lift on town land)

Last edited:
Reservoirs can be expensive, although, ORDA did have enough money to open a $17,000,000 convention center in the middle of Lake Placid Village right next door to the Lussi's Crowne Plaza in 2011. I was always confused by the convention center because I am pretty sure that it is not a winter (or any) season sports venue. Luckily, the $17million convention center does not need snowmaking.
wink wink... :unsure:

Back