Whiteface Conditions

I started by doing day trips. Now I book a motel by Schroon lake for 100 bucks and do friday saturday. Almost every week lately. Hunter got very crowded and the west side did not open. We have a place at Stowe and an epic pass..but thats difficult these days. Also hit Belleayre and Plattekill. Whatever it takes to ski. And since no west or Europe trips..Money to be spent here. You can ski a whole season here for the cost of one Europe trip.

According to this morning's conditions report, Essex is FINALLY getting some love along with Lower Skyward. Looks like they're also doing a lot of "touch up" around the mountain. Could be a final "push" to "top off" the main mountain this week before moving to Lookout, or, maybe they've decided not to blow over there. I guess we'll know for sure within the next few days.

Also, it's been snowing here in Lake Placid pretty much all week since the big storm on Saturday. About 1 - 3 inches each day ... things are looking VERY good for this weekend! Hoping we don't run into any snags!

I had planned on going over to the mountain this morning and doing 3 or 4 runs, then getting on the Summit Quad for 2 runs on Skyward, after which I would have to leave to get home so I could get to work. As usual, when you plan something that involves Whiteface, you should plan on being disappointed.

I got there early and unexpectedly ran into a friend ... things were looking up ... I'd have someone to ski with for the morning. We went over to the lifts at about 8:20. There was already a decent line at the gondola, so we decided we'd get on the Face Lift so we wouldn't have to wait. Conditions were very good (except "Tower 10 Hill" on Lower Valley). As we skied past the Little Whiteface chair, we realized that it wouldn't be running today (there was no one over there), so we went back to the base. There was still no line at the Face Lift, so we went back up, rather than waiting on line for the gondola.

We decided to ski over to the Freeway lift, getting there just as they opened it, and took a run on Mountain Run. Conditions were very good. We went back over to take another run. At this point, there was a small line forming (there were a lot of racers at the mountain) and the chair was running REALLY slow. We took another run on Mountain Run and then went back to the base, figuring we'd take the Face lift to the Summit quad and get our runs in on Skyward. When we got to the base, the lines at the gondola and the Face lift were VERY long. We finally got on the chair and when we got to the top, we saw the reason the lines were so long at the base. The Summit quad was still not running!

At this point, it was close to 10:00, and I realized that I wasn't going to be able to get to the top today. I thought about going back to the Freeway lift for another run over there, but at this point, I was so frustrated, I gave up and went home.

Any obvious reasons for the Summit Quad not running, like wind?

Didn’t take much to get Essex open, I bet Lower Sky is ready soon as well. We’ll see if they transition to Wilmington after that....

Any obvious reasons for the Summit Quad not running, like wind?

We were told that they had to move some hoses and some other things. Unsure how long it will be. Whiteface isn't very good at many things ... except making excuses. They still had the guns going on Lower Skyward.
We’ll see if they transition to Wilmington after that....
I heard that they're not planning to open Lookout Mountain this year, but that was based on second hand information.

I had planned on going over to the mountain this morning and doing 3 or 4 runs, then getting on the Summit Quad for 2 runs on Skyward, after which I would have to leave to get home so I could get to work. As usual, when you plan something that involves Whiteface, you should plan on being disappointed.

LMAO!
You ever bump into HighPeaksDrifter? I miss that guy, super nice, and one cool cat.

Back