Whiteface Conditions

The sun finally came out at around 2:00 and it warmed up quite a bit ... I had already pulled the plug ... I'm guessing it's probably a lot better now.

Not really. Not enough sun to make a difference, and a few things got worse (skied off). Wilmington was run o’ the day.

For what ever reason...I was in the zone, had the right skis and it was fun....fast and smooth....no real bumps...stayed on the blues and had a good time. Most everyone else didn't like it. I was skiing with the kids, no cares....now making deep dish pizza. In the word of the immortal Ice Cube...."today was a good day"

What a difference a day makes ... An outstanding morning, but you needed to be there early ... Really good grooming overnight on Essex, Upper Northway, Victoria & Lower Skyward, with 2 - 3 inches of new snow on top, depending on how you played the wind. In some spots, 6 - 8 inches of wind-blown snow on the edges alongside wind-scoured crust.

The wind was really ripping ... I was surprised they were able to have all of the lifts running. Visibility was extremely challenging at times, between cloud cover and blowing snow. Skied the Wilmington Trail in near whiteout conditions from the top to Lookout Below. Almost hit a snow-board who was on the ground ... didn't see him until i was practically on top of him. On a run down Upper Skyward, zero visibility from the top to the Switchbacks. I we had come 10 minutes later, visibility would have been fine! The clouds were moving in and out that quickly.

By 11:00, the wind had really done a fair amount of damage. There was still plenty of snow to be found, but I decided to call it quits a little before noon. I had a great morning, and didn't see much likelihood of it getting any better.

Today was pretty good, significantly better than Saturday. The morning started out pretty hard and fast, but it softened up when the sun came out around 11.

The top half of Skyward was pretty icy, but I still had a lot of fun with it. And Victoria was in better shape than I've ever seen.

My favorite run today was Approach to Wilderness.

Towards the end of the day, everything below the Mid Station started to get sticky. But overall, a great day!

Any chance we'll get to ski The Slides anymore this season? They haven't opened since the noreaster last week.

Don't think so. Not with the rain last Friday, the rain today and iffy weather this weekend.

Would it not be able to open on a spring day when everything has softened up? I haven't seen it since I skied it, but I assume there is plenty of snow in there.

Being that this could have been rain (and it was def raining yesterday evening at one point), I’d say pretty damn nice morning at whiteface. 2-4” fresh/wind deposited/whatever up high...nice pockets to be found if you followed where the wind put it and even throughout the trails it really was still pretty ok
30759924-1F92-4BDF-8E47-327A2A1025BF.png

Back