What's for lunch

I about to eat delicious
Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken from my favorite pizza itillian place in few minutes??????

This question can also be applied to Carbonara. Is it a real Alfredo, or a cheap, easy, cheating Alfredo? On that note, what is the one ingredient you shouldn’t find in either a real Alfredo or Carbonara?

Well....hopefully you wouldn’t find that in ANY Alfredo or Carbonara.

Looking around on the interwebz, the jury seems to be out on whether fettuccine Alfredo is a jin-you-wine Italian dish. Although Marcella Hazan provides a recipe in The Classic Italian Cookbook. Her recipe calls for parmesan and a touch of nutmeg. No parsley, no Romano. https://www.disgracesonthemenu.com/2012/02/italian-myths.html

Bacon and cream are not used in carbonara sauce. I've seen recipes calling for guanciale (cured pork cheek), which might be hard to find outside really hard core Italian neighborhoods. Other recipes call for pancetta. But bacon? NFW.

Bacon, preferably fatty and thick cut, can do for Carbonara in a pinch.....but you are right, it’s not the right ingredient.

What I was going for on both Alfredo and Carbonara is cream. Neither should have it. Not that I don’t use a little cream in an Alfredo on occasion, if I don’t have the proper butter (Plugra is my preferred).

Carbonara is my jam. pancetta is the go to but bacon will do because, well, it's bacon. never cream though

Alfredo gives me the shits
To darn heavy
Puttanesca is the way to go!!

That’s the problem with heavy cream in an Alfredo. An Alfredo made without cream is going to be rich (it’s just butter and cheese, after all) but it doesn’t have to be heavy.

Back