Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

So... what happens if it's cloudy during the eclipse? I had been thinking of driving an hour to be in totality vs the 98.6% at my house. Is it still worth it?

I don't like to fly. ....... I just hate the experience
Lots of people don't like the hassle or expense of flying. Since chasing this eclipse or better weather for it only involves driving relatively modest distances, that's why I keep pushing you Northeasterners. Any eclipse after this one (ironically for Harvey 2026 and 2027 are visible from Spain) for the next 20 years will involve flying.

Last edited:
I had been thinking of driving an hour to be in totality vs the 98.6% at my house. Is it still worth it?
1711936865742.gif

1711936871088.gif

1711936873322.gif

For the third time I need to repeat this explanation:

----- Original Message -----
To: SEML
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:23 AM
Subject: [SEML] Eclipse ratios.

Since the sun is about 400,000 times brighter than the full moon (about 14 magnitudes), a 99% eclipse (so termed) is about 4,000 times too bright compared with totality, which is about the brightness of the full moon. So a "99% eclipse" is really only 100/400,000 = 1/4,000 = 1/40% of totality = 0.025%.

So if someone claims 99% coverage, we can translate to less then a tenth of a percent of the way to totality. 99.9% coverage is two tenths of a percent of the way to totality.

Forecast not as good as it was a few days ago….but the Adirondacks currently look to be the best bet in NY. Fingers crossed.

I’ll be skiing the Memorial Highway, clouds or no. I’m sure it’ll be a hell of a scene, regardless of how much of the eclipse we do/don’t see!!

Forecast not as good as it was a few days ago….but the Adirondacks currently look to be the best bet in NY. Fingers crossed.

I’ll be skiing the Memorial Highway, clouds or no. I’m sure it’ll be a hell of a scene, regardless of how much of the eclipse we do/don’t see!!
Please take enough pics for a front pager if you don’t mind

Reactions: JTG
Back