Today’s Paddle

Anyone ever use or know anything about the Tucktec folding hardshell kayak?

My son wants something he can use in local ponds and reservoirs to gain access to more fish. While I’m sure it’s not a very good kayak, as real kayaks go, but for something he can easily carry in to different fishing spots it seems like an ok, and reasonably priced, option.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have no experience with them but they don't look very good to me. I suggest you offer this guy $300 or so. This looks like a solid boat to me. SOTs are almost unsinkable.

It’s a cool idea but I’m not a fan of the foldaboat. The angler kayak Brownski posted is pretty sweet. I used to kayak but it really bothers my back. I much prefer the ISUPs. You can stand, sit, kneel, be cross legged or even lay down. I find it easier to fish from a standing position and sort gear while I sit on a dry box/cooler. Getting back on a paddle board is much easier too if you ever go overboard. Most reservoirs mandate the boat stays there. The Tucktec is really only for flat water so I wouldn’t take it on the Hudson and definitely not the ocean. It also weighs 28 pounds which isn’t very light. Most ISUPs weigh around 20 and come with a backpack that everything fits in. There are pack rafts that are only 5 pounds, some are even lighter. You can bike pack with them and most can also handle whitewater.

Another thing to consider is a really good PFD. Not only does wearing one make good sense but they are now required by law, along with a noise maker, like a whistle. I have a fisherman’s vest from NRS that has pockets for gear but not too many to interfere with my paddle strokes. For inland calm waters I use an inflatable belt from Bote.

Fish on!

Last edited:
It’s a cool idea but I’m not a fan of the foldaboat. The angler kayak Brownski posted is pretty sweet. I used to kayak but it really bothers my back. I much prefer the ISUPs. You can stand, sit, kneel, be cross legged or even lay down. I find it easier to fish from a standing position and sort gear while I sit on a dry box/cooler. Getting back on a paddle board is much easier too if you ever go overboard. Most reservoirs mandate the boat stays there. The Tucktec is really only for flat water so I wouldn’t take it on the Hudson and definitely not the ocean. It also weighs 28 pounds which isn’t very light. Most ISUPs weigh around 20 and come with a backpack that everything fits in. There are pack rafts that are only 5 pounds, some are even lighter. You can bike pack with them and most can also handle whitewater.

Another thing to consider is a really good PFD. Not only does wearing one make good sense but they are now required by law, along with a noise maker, like a whistle. I have a fisherman’s vest from NRS that has pockets for gear but not too many to interfere with my paddle strokes. For inland calm waters I use an inflatable belt from Bote.

Fish on!
Have a Hobie Revo set up for fishing.
Gotta fish finder and a little sail for it.
All ya gotta do is pedal the mirage drive.
I wanna be a used as a planer kayak by a charter captain friend in the Big O.
Catch some big salmon.
It’ll work on a calm day.

Paddled the Upper Delaware River Monday the 4th. Callicoon to Damascus. Busy beautiful day, lots of people enjoying, what the river has to offer.

Saw Eagles deer, eels an otter and lots of different fish, and some pretty girls!

Attachments

• 6B77CCB0-8722-4F3C-A878-1404AA8AB982.jpeg
    6B77CCB0-8722-4F3C-A878-1404AA8AB982.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 65
  • 215E33FE-EE6B-4FD2-82A2-9B74E5FDFA1D.jpeg
    215E33FE-EE6B-4FD2-82A2-9B74E5FDFA1D.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 119037B1-AFDB-4C4A-9D6B-C9D066778D61.jpeg
    119037B1-AFDB-4C4A-9D6B-C9D066778D61.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 61
Some serious logistics there.

Back