The Things That Make Us Happy

1708620362818.jpeg

1708620418581.jpeg

The Sycamore Swimming Hole

Not sure why this popped into my head but one of my life’s best memories.

I was a teenager that liked to fish. I would hop on my bike a ride a few miles to a trout stream by a covered bridge. One of my favorite holes was by a massive Sycamore tree, probably 6’ in diameter. It’s undermined roots were good for a couple trout.

As I approached the bend in the stream I noticed something was different, it was a quarter mile walk down stream. Holy Shhhh
the tree had fallen across the steam! It was so massive that the stream had cut underneath the trunk and created a 10’ deep hole. I didn’t bother fishing but turned and rode home at warp speed. The word spread and soon all my friends were in they’re swimming trunks and on their bikes.
The roots made a natural ladder and springy diving board. A good 15’ up !!
My last memory of the swimming hole was sitting on the trunk thinking life doesn’t get any better when a 2’ rainbow trout jumped with the evening sun showing off its colors.

We were there every day for two weeks but when we approached the bend a final time a horrible sight was the township had cut the stump ( all but 6” was below the water) and as if overnight the hole had filled back in.

Ziggy looks stoked!

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 10.05.27 AM.png

Back