The overland craze is out of control

The new Sportage that I saw a few days ago is styled quite nicely IMO. It looked a little smaller than a CRV. Is that the right Honda to compare it to?

Yea I just checked it out. The Kia hybrid is about 100 lbs less than the CRV.

(Funny that now I look at weight as the primary measure of size.)

I like the smaller ICE motor with the turbo. I wish Honda was doing that.

It's got better EPA mpg than the CRV and looks significantly cheaper too. Is KIA doing markup above MSRP?

Back in March, our CRV wasn't marked up but it was more than $31k.

Yea I just checked it out. The Kia hybrid is about 100 lbs less than the CRV.

(Funny that now I look at weight as the primary measure of size.)

I like the smaller ICE motor with the turbo. I wish Honda was doing that.

It's got better EPA mpg than the CRV and looks significantly cheaper too. Is KIA doing markup above MSRP?

Back in March, our CRV wasn't marked up but it was more than $31k.
Hate to say it but that is cheap for a car. I think our 2011 non hybrid crv was 26 or 28 k then, so you got a good deal, less than inflation. (Yeah I know not apples to apples)

Hate to say it but that is cheap for a car. I think our 2011 non hybrid crv was 26 or 28 k then, so you got a good deal, less than inflation. (Yeah I know not apples to apples)
The CRV was 39k all in with tags and everything. The KIA MSRP is 31k.

My girlfriend has a 23 Kia Sportage Hybrid. It's a nice ride. Thing rolls down the road sweet enough to get a ticket of 72 in a 55 🤷

Both Kia and Hyundai have come a long way. When they first came out they were never in a car guys conversation. Now they are.
My lady has a Hyundai, 2008 Elantra to be specific. I feel like that model has the capability of taking the torch from the Corolla's from the mid to late 90's and early aughts. Bombproof, so simple to work on for an under experienced home mechanic, invisible to cops and smash and grabbers and ubiquitous enough that parts are plentiful and cheap. As a car guy I've started to find these sh*tboxes way more fun and interesting than any of the modern garbage out there. As James May once said, it's more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

In 2019 I bought a pre-owned (used to us older people) 2016 Kia Sorento with 50k miles on it. Handed it off to my daughter a few months ago and got myself a new Hyundai Tucson. The Kia now has about 160k on it. Only problem I have ever had was a recent emissions problem. Couldn't pass inspection for what turned out to be a hairline fracture in some emissions system. Cost me more in time and aggravation than actual money as I had to keep bringing it back until they found it. Otherwise it has been usual maintenance and no problems at all. Love the new Tucson. I didn't even really consider anything else since it comes in around 7-8$k cheaper than most other comparable models.

Back