The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be avoiding the flying petri dishes ...
Whether or not to travel during a pandemic is a very personal decision. I have a friend who would board a plane tomorrow but won't go to the dentist or get his hair cut. I know people who aren't driving farther than 10 miles from their house.

I happen to be the type to feel comfortable traveling in a deliberate fashion. I'm picky about which gas stations I stop in along the way these days. Usually find a Sheetz, which isn't too hard driving in NC or from NC to Lake Placid. I've stayed in motels for a few nights this summer. All were Best Western with exterior doors.

All the reading I've done since mid-February has helped my family figure out how to stay healthy while still doing stuff away from home with friends we trust.

Just saw that a few summer camps in Maine figured out how to run programs and avoid major outbreaks. There were four camps and about 1000 people total.

The knowledge is available, but it takes effort to keep people aware and following the rules. Obviously something that hasn't happened at a lot of big universities in the last few weeks. But I think there are smaller colleges that will managed to follow their plans for the entire fall semester.

Gyms are open in my county. It seems like it’d be super scary but even before covid these guys keep the place so clean it’s amazing. In February they really stepped it up to another level and now they’ve moved everything around to create more separation. strength training with a mask on is no problem. Cardio with a mask is tougher.
EEB7667F-38EE-41C5-AE08-35D6AC22DA11.jpeg

The knowledge is available, but it takes effort to keep people aware and following the rules. Obviously something that hasn't happened at a lot of big universities in the last few weeks. But I think there are smaller colleges that will managed to follow their plans for the entire fall semester.

Knowledge and science are the easy part. Regardless of what you do, changing people's beliefs and behaviors...is something totally different.

Knowledge and science are the easy part. Regardless of what you do, changing people's beliefs and behaviors...is something totally different.
Yep.

I found out why there is an outbreak in Maine, which has been trying to be very careful. There was a wedding held indoors in early August with little adherence to existing rules about table spacing or total number of people at an event. They didn't work extra hard to get a full list of names for the purposes of good contact tracing if it became necessary. By all accounts, guests didn't think keeping face coverings on was important. The Inn has since had their license suspended because not enough changed even after cases from the wedding were detected. Unfortunately, at least one death could be traced to the wedding. The current number connected to the wedding is over 100 and could go higher.

Went to my first [outdoor] restaurant on Thursday. Had it not been work related - I've left UPS and am working in a retail wine store - wouldn't have gone. Tables were too close together.

Ugh more Covid problems at Suny ( Plattsburgh , Oneonta ) IMHO changing behavior of the herd is an unrealistic expectation . There will always be kids who think they are bulletproof and act accordingly . Almost an impossibility to manage this situation ' yeah you can enact sanctions of several varieties but that is TOO late ..

Very difficult situation , so far up here Suny Potsdam and Suny Canton , Clarkson and SLU are not affected , BUT it is only a matter of time until the fit hits the shan .

Very difficult situation , so far up here Suny Potsdam and Suny Canton , Clarkson and SLU are not affected , BUT it is only a matter of time until the fit hits the shan .
Did any of these colleges require a PCR test either within a couple weeks of arrival on campus or on the first day?

My friend in Boston has a daughter in college in MA and another in ME. Both are small private schools with under 2000 students. One requires a PCR test twice a week and then other is testing students who live off campus every three days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back