The Jay Peak Saga

Burke may have a buyer soon. I still have not skied there

I went there before the pandemic when Burke was on the Champlain Valley Card(I hope this comes back).

I remember having a blast getting lost in the East Bowl area.

I don't think deal cards are ever coming back. I am surprised the SkiVT "card" is still going.

It will be interesting to see who picks up Burke. As has been the case for a very long time... it is difficult thinking of who that mountain would benefit. The good news is that the damage is already done to the place, so whoever the buyer is can't inflict much more damage.

Don’t forget whatever Fail Resorts Inc. can do to a place.
It ain't like Burke will ever be crowded, lol.

It is all high speed lifts and trails have already been widened. New lodges have already been built. Condo build out is ongoing. Burke isn't known for early/late season, their snowmaking has historically been sub-par.

It is possible that operations could suffer if Vail bought the place and pissed off staff who then quit. But the worst is already done. I assume any new owners will inherit arrangements with BMA.

Personally I think the late spring/summer/fall mountain biking business could surpass skiing. Between lift served downhill and the great Kingdom Trails network. This is world class destination.

Only issue is the locals in EB don't want any visitors any more, the situation with Kingdom trail access has only gotten worse and I think the goal for the locals is cut back on excess tourism to the area by any means nessisary. They could give a shit about the economic benefit, they moved to the NEK or choose to stay in the NEK because of how isolated and unpopulated it is. A few thousand Quebecois and even worse a few hundred New Yorkers clogging up their roads and being disrespectful is what they would like to cut back if not get rid of all together. I know the situation with Kingdom is not exactly the situation on the mountain but the goals of the locals are clearly out of line with goals of developers and tourism based business. Call me crazy but I actually don't think the Kingdom trails are destination worthy outside of sheer volume of trail, which is being curtailed more and more. The same can be said for the mountain and skiing, there is better terrain all at least an hour closer to anyone coming from any of the major outlying metro areas. Let the locals take their home back, regain their unfettered horse and snowmobile access and tourist can go where they will be welcomed with open arms whether that be the Mad River Valley, Stowe, Slate Valley, Woodstock even Conway New Hampshire.

Only issue is the locals in EB don't want any visitors any more, the situation with Kingdom trail access has only gotten worse and I think the goal for the locals is cut back on excess tourism to the area by any means nessisary. They could give a shit about the economic benefit, they moved to the NEK or choose to stay in the NEK because of how isolated and unpopulated it is. A few thousand Quebecois and even worse a few hundred New Yorkers clogging up their roads and being disrespectful is what they would like to cut back if not get rid of all together. I know the situation with Kingdom is not exactly the situation on the mountain but the goals of the locals are clearly out of line with goals of developers and tourism based business. Call me crazy but I actually don't think the Kingdom trails are destination worthy outside of sheer volume of trail, which is being curtailed more and more. The same can be said for the mountain and skiing, there is better terrain all at least an hour closer to anyone coming from any of the major outlying metro areas. Let the locals take their home back, regain their unfettered horse and snowmobile access and tourist can go where they will be welcomed with open arms whether that be the Mad River Valley, Stowe, Slate Valley, Woodstock even Conway New Hampshire.
As I think about what I wrote. I have to agree with you on your take about kingdom trails.
Some great trail networks in the Killington and rochester vt area

Maybe Burke could go the private club route and only be open for members and the ski academy if that could be enough to stay viable.

Back