The Jay Peak Saga

The sale of Jay to PGRI was approved by the FL judge who has been dealing with the case. The closing is scheduled for mid-Oct 2022.

September 16, 2022
" . . .
However, during a hearing Friday morning to approve the sale of the resort, Goldberg provided a glimpse of what took place during the auction. The hearing was held over video from U.S. District Court in Miami.

According to Goldberg, two other bidders, who he did not identify, took part in the auction, offering initial bids of $60 million and $61 million.

“There were about 48 separate bidding rounds,” he told the judge.

Goldberg told the judge that after a roughly $5.2 million sewer bond the resort is on the hook for, as well as broker and other fees associated with the transaction, he expected to net about $70 million from the sale. Those funds would then be distributed to defrauded Jay Peak investors.

“We expect the distribution, or I do, (based on a) preliminary back-of-a-napkin estimate to the creditors of Jay Peak, the investors, to be somewhere around 40 cents on the dollar, your honor,” the receiver said.

Goldberg said he would provide the court with the exact figures following the closing of the sale, which is expected to take place around Oct. 15.
. . ."

Didn't really know much about PGRI besides which ski resorts they have been running in the past decade. Had no idea that one of the players had been with Power and was GM of Park City for a short period.

September 9, 2022
" . . .
Pacific Group Resorts, Inc., or PGRI, has three partners – all from the Park City area. The president and CEO is Vern Greco who served as the COO of another Park City based resort company, Powdr Corporation. Prior to that, he served as president and general manager of Park City Mountain Resort between 1998 and 2004.

Doug Anderson is chairman of the board for PGRI. He was the man who took United Park City Mines from a public company to private ownership under Talisker, which developed Empire Pass.

Mark Fischer serves as Executive Vice President and CFO of PRGI and is a partner is Jans, Ltd. and former CEO of Blakslee, a brand development firm.

Fischer says he partnered with Anderson in 2012. Greco joined PGRI a year later.
. . .

Even with six resorts, Fischer says they don’t plan to offer interchangeable passes like the EPIC or IKON, saying they’re not at that scale.

“Most of our resorts, people don't travel long distances to get to. It's not like a Deer Valley or a Park City or a Steamboat or something like that with people flying from all over the country, or all over the world, to get to our properties,” Fischer said. “Ours are really drive to destinations. And so, we figured we'd let Vail and Alterra fight over the you know, the big destination properties and we'd just be really good at drive to destinations.”

He added that while there is some developable land around some of their resorts, they are primarily ski resort operators, and any development, he said would have to be gravy."

Yeah, but, please, please, five days on my Ikon. That's all I need.

Jay is on the Indy Pass. I hope that continues for a few seasons so I can plan an Indy ski safari that includes Jay.

Jay is on the Indy Pass. I hope that continues for a few seasons so I can plan an Indy ski safari that includes Jay.
I need to start planning this years soon!

Still no sale of Burke but I have read that this is expected soon... sort of the smaller mountain tied up in the same scandal and being managed by the same receiver.

Back