The Definitive Solution to the Upstate NY Question

Just drove from Binghamton to Albany via Ithaca. Took US20 instead of the Turnpike. Lots of roadside stands with corn.

Also saw signs for "Midstate." I remember hearing about the Finger Lakes region, but never Midstate when I was growing up in NYC. Who uses that term?

I’ve never heard it used as a region. Maybe as in “Binghamton is about mid state..”

When I was in High School there was A MidState Athletic Conference for hs in CNY And the NJCAA also had one for two year colleges

Other than ski lifts, my biggest interest is probably trains. That being said, here's how I define upstate/downstate. Downstate is within MTA territory, and upstate is outside of MTA territory.

Just drove from Binghamton to Albany via Ithaca. Took US20 instead of the Turnpike. Lots of roadside stands with corn.

Also saw signs for "Midstate." I remember hearing about the Finger Lakes region, but never Midstate when I was growing up in NYC. Who uses that term?
Big M Midstate grocery stores were ubiquitous in the upstate for a bit.
Some may still be around but they change hands over time.

Other than ski lifts, my biggest interest is probably trains. That being said, here's how I define upstate/downstate. Downstate is within MTA territory, and upstate is outside of MTA territory.
This is a rule I have seen proposed before. I think Benny suggested it in the TGR thread. My objection is that you can get to Port Jervis and Poughkeepsie on Metro North and neither of them seem very downstate to me.

Back