Sweet Cars and Trucks

Truth
In those day's trucks were, well, trucks. Now they're high dollar highway machines. That said, you can still get a truck but you'll need to order it. Not many people out there left that use a truck like a truck.
We visit family in the suburbs north of Houston a couple times per year (pre-pandemic). Every driveway has at least one $50k+, 4 door pickup truck and 95% are pristine with beds so clean you can eat off of them. There are even 3/4 ton trucks being used as daily driver/family haulers. It is a bit insane.

AKA, conspicuous consumption... sad

Last edited:
Here are 2 more interesting (to me at least ;) ) Houston pickup observations:
There are many more Toyotas and Nissans on these driveways than you would think - enough were I notice them.

Some manufacturers seem to have a special "texas" edition that they sell only in Texas.
Ford has a package:
"Ford trucks communications manager Mike Levine confirmed there was indeed a "Texas Edition" F-150 which consisted primarily of exterior styling accents including a chrome bar-style grille, chrome door handles, a chrome-plated exhaust tip and chrome front tow hooks on the 4x4 models."
Nissan has a Texas Titan package also

Last edited:
We visit family in the suburbs north of Houston a couple times per year (pre-pandemic). Every driveway has at least one $50k+, 4 door pickup truck and 95% are pristine with beds so clean you can eat off of them. There are even 3/4 ton trucks being used as daily driver/family haulers. It is a bit insane.
It truly is insane, I see it everyday and smh. Heck, the entire truck/van market is insane right now too!

My buddy is shopping for a Sprinter. Prices are through the roof, even for a used one with 125,000 miles. He’s going for a new one. Gray, diesel, 4wd. It’s gonna hurt. He’s a true craftsman so he’s gonna finish off the interior for work and then mod it as a vanlife camper after two years and sell it at 75,000 miles to an ill equipped hipster. It’s a big sum up front and he definitely won’t be making money but it’s the best way to make it “affordable”.

My buddy is shopping for a Sprinter. Prices are through the roof, even for a used one with 125,000 miles. He’s going for a new one. Gray, diesel, 4wd. It’s gonna hurt. He’s a true craftsman so he’s gonna finish off the interior for work and then mod it as a vanlife camper after two years and sell it at 75,000 miles to an ill equipped hipster. It’s a big sum up front and he definitely won’t be making money but it’s the best way to make it “affordable”.
Right now new is the only way to go

Heard a report today that 13 per cent of new car buyers are paying OVER BOOK PRICE NOW .

Reason given : supply lo / demand increasing ....... coupled with a serious decline in both CHIP manufacturing and a pandemic slow down in auto mfg plants

Back