Sweet Cars and Trucks

My son found it in Michigan and had it shipped to NY. It had 68K miles on it when he bought it. The interior is mint. I wish that I could find the sales pictures to share with you. It is gorgeous! Therefore, I just look at it. I would feel horrible if something happened to it on my watch! (Plus, it is actually kind of hard to get into. I am 5'5", and am used to using a mounting block to get on my horse. I need a stepladder to get into this! :ROFLMAO: )

I followed Jack Griffith's 427 around a parkway ramp in Hicksville back in the day. The thing jumped up and took off like a rocketship when he got into the throttle. That was before he got into TVRs.

mm

Last edited:
When I was in college I had a girlfriend who had a TR4. Her brother had taken out all the carpets, door panels, rubber parts and sound deadening. I think he was trying to make a race car out of it. Driving it sounded like a shaking a coffee can full of nuts and bolts, but it was cool.

mm

I followed Jack Griffith's 427 around a parkway ramp in Hicksville back in the day. The thing jumped up and took off like a rocketship when he got into the throttle. That was before he got into TVRs.

mm

I read some magazine article somewhere about a dentist shopping for a Cobra back in the day. He wanted to buy a 427. The sales rep goes, "They're a bit of a handful." They went out on a test drive, and the car scared the crap outta the dentist. Dentist says, "Maybe I should try a 289 instead." Salesman says, "That WAS a 289."

I read some magazine article somewhere about a dentist shopping for a Cobra back in the day. He wanted to buy a 427. The sales rep goes, "They're a bit of a handful." They went out on a test drive, and the car scared the crap outta the dentist. Dentist says, "Maybe I should try a 289 instead." Salesman says, "That WAS a 289."
(y)

The 289 was actually a more successful race car than the 427, but they figured out that the limiting factor was aerodynamics, not power. The Daytona coupes were 289s. They definitely disproved Ferrari's opinion that aerodynamics were for people who can't make horsepower.
One thing I remember about following that 427 was that my 58 Biscayne easily kept up with it right around the exit ramp, but when he got it pointed in a straight line, it was the fastest thing I ever saw on the street.

mm

Whoa! 58 Biscayne, now that's a whole lotta metal moving down the road. That's back when cars/trucks were built to last. Heck, still see them in the woods all over the place.

Back