Surfs Up

Kite-surfers out in force at Harding’s and Ridgevale beaches.

A5EB497B-15C2-4A2B-A00B-C9BD8CF890DC.jpeg

Very windy today, with consistent 30mph winds from the south. The onshore wind is creating pretty clean 2-3’ waves at Harding’s. Not gonna lie, thinking about taking the surfboard over there. That strong of a cross wind means the ocean surf won’t be any good.

Last edited:
Over at west Dennis there can be 50 kiters on a breezy day
I’ve done it twice
It’s a steep learning curve

Man, those kite surfers looked like they were having fun. One waved as he wizzed by my futile efforts to surf the Sound beach “break”. At least I got in the water. There was actually a decent swell and wave heights, but no real break or energy, so the surfing sucked.

If I told my wife I wanted to pick up kite surfing she’d have a conniption. Kite surfer I chatted with this morning told me he watched some guy from NY try to launch by himself in a 40 mph wind....refused the offered help....and summarily got picked up, slammed back down on the sand, then dragged across an inlet and crashed into a house. I guess I wouldn’t blame my wife....

The beach at Ausable Point campground on Lake Champlain is a big hot spot for kite surfers. I’ve never tried it but it certainly looks fun.

Yeah, in addition to skimming along the surf, some of these guys were getting 25+ feet in the air.

Yeah, in addition to skimming along the surf, some of these guys were getting 25+ feet in the air.
yep and just like windsurfing when you get in the groove, it's a outer body experience...

yep and just like windsurfing when you get in the groove, it's a outer body experience...
yeah we used to haul ass on the Hudson, we did 10 mile down wind runs with a friend driving the shore in support van

Attachments

• 94207C6E-7FE8-4414-B83C-2F2F8DE689BD.jpeg
    94207C6E-7FE8-4414-B83C-2F2F8DE689BD.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 68
yeah we used to haul ass on the Hudson, we did 10 mile down wind runs with a friend driving the shore in support van
Yep
I even broke down under the tz

Just finished reading Ghost Wave by Chris Dixon, good read on the nature of big waves and the crazies who surf them

Back