Sugar Season

Moon Valley Maple , right on the Mountain at Titus .

Moon Valley was the original name for the mountain

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 61
A couple years ago I was skiing at Mt. Van Ho on the East Loop and noticed all of the sap lines zig zagging all over the place. As we climbed Harry’s hill I noticed at the top of each line there was some sort of tech sensor thingy. After our ski we took the ride over to South Meadow Farm to hang out with the sugarer and check out the operation. The guy was manning a huge rig by himself. I asked him about the sensors and he pulled out his phone to show me the whole bush on an app. Turns out he can monitor the vacuum of each line from anywhere and make fixes when necessary. We left with a few jugs of sweetness to show our support. Always love checking out the shacks and meeting these crafty folk.

2 years ago My friend gave me ten gallons of sap
I boiled it on my home stove. What a pain in the ass for 8oz of syrup
Took 4 hours on a high btu stove

One thing we noticed yesterday was how this year the snow pack is effecting the running of sap. We actually ran out of sap yesterday as it wasn't running. This sugar bush is north facing and still has 3' of snow pack. Yesterday was 38 and sunny, sap should be running. Not a drop. The trees are sitting in a refrigerator, what a difference it's making. Last week, when it was in the 50's, he got 250 gallons of sap in 2 days.

Back